Mount Martin RoboColor I case of 4 to truss?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here knows of a way I could mount a 'Martin RoboColor I set of 4 in a flightcase' to a truss? Normally the 4x RoboColor package simply sits on top of a lighting stand but I'd like to mount the whole thing on top of or below a motorized truss. I don't want to have something custom-welded, I'd really only want to use something that is properly designed and manufactured for the job. I also don't want to take these lights out of their case. Is there a safe and affordable solution that will do what I want, like some standard adaptor?

Martin RoboColor I.jpg
Martin RoboColor I set of 4

Thanks,
Arjan

I think the spigot on the case will fit a standard receiver, but I could be wrong.

The other possibility would be a couple half-cheeseboro, but I can't remember if that's possible. Either way, you might have to modify the case a little.

I think the spigot on the case will fit a standard receiver, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'standard receiver'. The 'spigot' is basically just a round hole. Essentially this thing will just fit on top of a pole (similar to what you'd use between a sub and speaker tops). There's no thread or anything like that. Assuming that this is what had in mind, what's the proper name for the adaptor that I would need. I know precious little about rigging and perhaps as a result I've been unable to find anything that looked like it would do the job browsing some online catalogs.

The other possibility would be a couple half-cheeseboro, but I can't remember if that's possible. Either way, you might have to modify the case a little.

Well, as for mounting options there's just the hole so I'm not quite sure how these could be used to mount this thing. Again I know next to nothing about rigging so if I'm missing something obvious by all means let me know. There will be an experienced rigger at the venue where I want to use this but I need to arrange this in advance.

Thanks,
Arjan

I was thinking there was a spigot on the bottom, for some reason. But it's really a cup that you would insert a speaker stand top into. Something along these lines: Products - MSE - Matthews Studio Equipment

If you want to truss mount this, you really shouldn't use the cup holder. To truss mount, I'd find a way to attach a couple of these on the underside Details for CLAMP-CBHALF .

Alternatively, have you considered a different product? Say 4 LED pars that are designed to be hung. Given the expense and time of buying the hardware, you could probably rent 4 LED pars for the same money, or less.

But it's really a cup that you would insert a speaker stand top into.

Yes, that's exactly what it is.

If you want to truss mount this, you really shouldn't use the cup holder.

I was wondering about that. On the one hand it would seem that since the cup is the only factory-provided rigging point it's the only way to 'hang' this fixture in a safe way, similar to how you shouldn't fly speaker tops by their handles or in fact at all if they don't have proper dedicated hang points that are designed to bear the weight and can support the whole structure. I was thinking it might be possible to mount them on top of square truss instead of hanging them below the truss.

On the other hand I can imagine better ways to do this by modifying the fixture but it requires knowledge of the interanl construction of this fixture to do that properly.

To truss mount, I'd find a way to attach a couple of these on the underside Details for CLAMP-CBHALF .

I agree that looks better but if you do it wrong it will be downright dangerous. Also the enclosure doubles as the flight-case used to transport them so it wouldn't be ideal to have those couplers attached and sticking out during transport. But I suppose it might be possible to unscrew and remove those couplers for transport. Perhaps I will take a look inside after all.

Alternatively, have you considered a different product? Say 4 LED pars that are designed to be hung. Given the expense and time of buying the hardware, you could probably rent 4 LED pars for the same money, or less.

The RoboColors are more like spotlights than pars and they're meant to illuminate the performers. From what I've read it would seem that LEDs are not yet ideal for that because of their limited CRI. If I can't get these up on the truss I'll just put them on their regular stands but it would be nice to get them off the floor and out of the way if it can be done safely.

Thanks,
Arjan

Last edited:
The RoboColors are more like spotlights than pars and they're meant to illuminate the performers. From what I've read it would seem that LEDs are not yet ideal for that because of their limited CRI. If I can't get these up on the truss I'll just put them on their regular stands but it would be nice to get them off the floor and out of the way if it can be done safely.

Thanks,
Arjan

OK, so maybe some lekos? My point was you shouldn't be married to a fixture. The Robocolor is fairly old technology and there might be a better, more cost-effective, easier product out there.

OK, so maybe some lekos? My point was you shouldn't be married to a fixture. The Robocolor is fairly old technology and there might be a better, more cost-effective, easier product out there.

Quite true. The RoboColor fits our needs rather well though and it is what we have right now (two of them). This morning I went ahead and took the actual fixture out of the case it's mounted in and I think it's quite easy to modify this construction to allow it to be hung from a truss in a safe manner using those clamps you referred to. There's probably even room to put the MartinLink->DMX converters into the case (we have one available for each) which will make deploying these things a lot easier. Yes, these things are pre-DMX :grin: (actually the guy who bought these originally got the converters at the same time so DMX was around, just not yet in this product).

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back