Moving Head Light Question

deemmert

I know that this is discussed alot on this forum but some personal guidance would be great! I am a self trained tech. because my wife is the director at our highschool and we try to do everything in house. We are looking to add 3 moving head lights to our theatre. The questions- What lights? From what I have read 3 used Mac 500 will come in under $3000. Board options? Again online discusses using a laptop with software. The budget $3000-$5000 What we have Express(ion) 24/48 What would you do and why....Thanks Dave

Welcome to the Booth!

One thing you need to determine is how you plan on using them. Different moving lights are better depending on how you plan to use them. Do you need a wash fixture or a profile (and what features on a profile)? Obviously, with a lower budget, you may be getting a lower quality light. This means you may have to determine what your budget for maintaining them will be.

Yes, you may want to consider a virtual console for the moving lights. There are several discussions on them. You could also consider a less expensive or used console that has moving light capability. Again, depending on how you intend to use them most often may determine which option you go for. Some consoles are great at using movers in a cue stack, but stink at changing them live. Those are the less expensive consoles.

I have not purchased or worked on any of the less expensive consoles in quite a few years, so I will leave that part of the discussion to others with more recent experience.

Thanks Mod. for the info. We plan on using profile lights and when we do use them it would be in a cue stack. If you could suggest some brands and particular businesses that sell good used equipment that would be great. We are located on the East Coast, even thought everyone ships nowadays. Thanks dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back