Conventional Fixtures MR16 3 Color Strip

Shinigami

So I have an unusual problem with my MR16 strips.

One of the three sections has stopped working. One of the cells has an led indicator lit to tell us there is a problem but I can't find one.

It does not work on a dimmer or hot patch.
It is not the lamp because I have tried lamps that I know to work.
The wiring is all solid as is the ceramic.
There is no corrosion on any of the contacts.
And when I tested for continuity I had it in all lamps in that series as well as enough power to run all the lamps.

I could really use some help on this one.

Thanks

Colleen
Head Electrician
Bucks County Playhouse

If the neon is lit, there's an open somewhere between the two leads of the neon (the neon is in parallel with a bulb; if the bulb is burned out or the wiring open, you will find 110v across it. Enough to light a neon. Same trick used to spot-weld the shorting wire in the self-healing Christmas bulbs, an idea Edison used in his street llights)

Since the bulb is OK, that leaves the ceramic, wires, and connections. I have seen cases where wires have broken inside the insulation from flexing or near solder joints; a little tug and they came apart.
/mike

It's probably a burned out socket, one of two at the LED indicator. Shine a flashlight at the sockets and look for corrosion/burning at one or both contact points.

Other then burned out lamps, this is the most common problem I see with my L&E Mini-Strips.

Hopefully you have the 2nd generation strips, as the sockets are much easier to replace then the originals. I get my sockets from Bulbtronics and get the version with the 36" leads, makes it easier in the re-wireing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back