MSC Out from ION

themuzicman

Hey Everyone,

I'm an audio guy here who is sitting in a theatre bored with some extra time trying to figure some fun stuff out!

I just designed a show where I ran MSC Commands to the ION via QLab for Mac (figure53.com).

I want to know if there is a way for the ION to send MSC commands to QLab so I can run a show from the ION! I just got off a show where I was able to run the entire show via QLab's MSC transmit commands. I could control submasters, fire macros, and fire "GO's" all from the comfort of my sound computer! I want to make it just as comfortable to run sound for the lighting guys!

So far I understand it can run Midi Time Code and SMPTE Time Code. I know how to make those events work, but what I am looking for is a more simple "Output Midi/ Device ID 5 (QLab)/GO Cue 3". I already have Midi Transmit enabled through the setup menu, I just can't seem to figure out how to actually transmit an MSC Command like the type I want from the ION.

Stuff I'm Using:
ETC ION (Version 1.9)
Mac Pro running QLab 2.2.8
Roland Edirol UM-3ex Midi Interface.

In Audio Midi Setup in the Mac's Utilities, I have the computer receiving midi on channel 3 via the UM-3ex. It is transmitting on Channel 2. The ION is receiving on Channel 2 and Transmitting on Channel 3, patched these in the settings. I know that if I go to Show Control I can create a new event, but I am lost from there when it comes to creating the type of trigger I want to create.

Any help?

(Bonus Question:
In googling for answers, I ran across a guy who claims to have mirrored motorized fader channels from his CongoJ to his Yamaha LS9-32...I have an EOS and an LS9-32...anyone have any fun tricks on how to link faders there? Purely for fun because I'm bored and am trying to learn midi)

Last edited:
Hey Muzicman,

I don't know the direct answer for this question -- I will inquire tomorrow at ETC.

To the best of my knowledge, the Ion will send MSC commands, but it may only be sending out what it is doing (i.e., when you press "GO", it will send out that action across the network, specifying that it (Device ID) just hit GO for cue 1). I haven't tried customizing that MSC string to make it go to a different device ID with a different command string. I'll try some things out tomorrow, and let you know what I find.

Again, the above is just conjecture based on what I've seen. I'll get some answers for you tomorrow.

Hans

Muzicman,

I confirmed this today at ETC. The Eos/Ion family will send Midi Show Control, but it will only send out what it is doing. It seems to be fairly simple to have QLab or any other MSC capable program listen for these events, instead of having the Ion send out particular messages. It was also suggested that you could create a phantom cuelist specifically for QLab, and program it to follow MSC GO instructions from this list.

About the Eos and the LS9-32 -- I've never used that sound console, so I am not sure on its Midi implementation, or the best way to go about that. I would think that it may revolve around the Set command in MSC, as it is capable of reporting level information.

This post also seems to have been posted in the ETC Community forums -- I'll reply to that as well.

Hans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back