MTC with Element Project

Hey Everyone!
I will soon be starting my A-level electronics project and I have decided that it is time to delve into the world of MIDI and more specifically MTC. I have long been fascinated with how it is Theme Parks can put on the same show hundreds of times a day with consistency and true sync of all technical aspects, with only one or two operators and I have learnt that remarkably this all due to MIDI time codes.

I am planning on creating a unit which will generate a time code which can be sent to a laptop (Macbook Pro) which will have a Qlab file set up to receive a timecode and trigger a soundtrack, and my schools ETC Element 40 which I will program a light show on to run also to the MIDI timecode.

Could anyone out there who has had experience with MTC (SMPTE or otherwise) help me, first of all with programming the element, I am proficient with recording a cue list on the element but I don't have any idea how to set it to run off the timecode and the manual doesn't seem to go into any depth on the subject. Secondly what would be the best way to create the timecode, is there a specific "MIDI IC" or will it be a micro controller with some clever programming evolved?

Thanks for your Help!

The very first thing that you want to do is to go out and buy JohnHuntington's book Control Systems for Live Entertainment. This book is the very best book to help you put together show control systems using timecode and other such technologies.

For firing cues from a lighting console, the common protocol is MSC, or MIDI Show Control. If the Element is like the ION it is very easy to set up to receive MSC: Enable MIDI/MSC, set the receive channel of the console to the send channel of your MSC transmitter device and let it rip. MSC can reference both a cue list & a cue (or just fire general GOs) but this means that you can pick a specific cue in a list with MSC. MSC is finite events not a linear timecode, so you have to have a device (usually a computer with a program like Qlab which can send MSC commands) that sends the MSC commands based on another stream of timecode or just internal timing of a computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're looking for MTC generation, I'd probably recommend a USB to MIDI interface paired with Midi-Ox on Windows, or QLab on Mac. For what I do here at the office, it works pretty well. There are other options that are designed for long term show use (other software or hardware solutions, though QLab is pretty good).

In any case, you don't necessarily need to use MSC. You can also set the console up to learn events from incoming time code. Take a look at Chapter 24 of the Ion operations manual, version 1.7. I personally think that MSC is a bit more straightforward, but if there are a lot of light cues, using the Learn function will speed up the programming by a bit.

As soundlight said, definitely buy Control Systems for Live Entertainment. It is a thoroughly useful resource.

If you're looking for MTC generation, I'd probably recommend a USB to MIDI interface paired with Midi-Ox on Windows, or QLab on Mac.

Thanks for your help! Because this is for my A-level electronics project I have to actually produce a product, so I thought a timecode generator or a timecode clock.

Although just thinking off it another good project could be a remote control playback unit, so that you can select the cue you want and would have a go button. (Through sending MIDI commands to the console). Does this seem like a better idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back