Multi - Parameter Devices

jpachter

Hello,

This question probably sounds silly, but it is something that I have wanted to know the answer to for a while. How do you change the number of parameters that a multi - parameter device takes up on your dimmers and console? Many LED and intelligent lighting fixtures can use a range of channel's, and I was wondering how to change that.

You have to read the manual for each device and figure it out. Every device is different, some have full menu's others have dip switches, no two devices are the same.

To elaborate on what Sony said, it is a setting on the device itself. It is often called it's Mode or DMX Personality or something similar. You would go through the manual to see which mode you want then follow the instructions to select it in the fixture's menu. Once you have selected it on the fixture, you would then want to patch it in the console using the corresponding personality.

-Tim

... no two devices are the same.

... Unless they are the same device. :p Sorry couldn't resist.

Sony is right. There are some fixtures that have modes that can be set, each with possibly a different number of parameters, or arranged in a different order. Reading the instruction manual for those fixtures should let you know how to change the mode it operates in as well as what each address offset controls.

If you were asking about how to change the order of which parameters respond to which offset, or were looking to exclude some to save on channel space, unfortunately this is not something that can be done short of rewriting the internal software of the fixture.

Edit: Xander beat me to the additional info!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back