Wireless Multiple racks of UHF-R on single antenna pair

soundlight

I'm doing sound for our musical, Curtains, and I'm running 24 channels of UHF-R. We have the receivers in racks of 8 channels (4 dual receivers) per rack, each rack with a UA-845 antenna distro. What I'd like to know is whether or not I can use a single pair of antennas for each distro and use the link outs to get the signal from a single pair of paddle antennas to all of the receivers without signal loss by linking through two antenna distros.

It's possible, yes, I've done it before and that's how it's set up right now, but I want to know if I'm going to have any issues during the show by linking the antennas through - because we do have six antennas if we want to hook up each rack to its own pair.

The antennas are at the FOH position, which is up on the balcony - anywhere between about 40 and 90 feet from transmitters onstage depending on where the actors are standing. The antennas are Shure UA-870 directional antennas.

I have run the Shure ULX systems with the distro antennas before and had no problem with dropout at 70ft and even was able to mic check from the basement. I don't think you will have any issues at all.

I think it would work fine. Of much more importance is that you have coordinated your frequencies to ensure that you are not on top of (or next to) a very high power TV transmitter (receive power at your antennas), and that none of your channels will cause intermodulation interference to one another. If you haven't done these, or are not sure what I'm talking about, please let us know so we can help you out.

I do know how to set frequencies properly and used the Shure WWB software to make sure that there were no other low-power devices on campus that I need to worry about. After scanning with WWB, I let it do frequency assignments and then double-checked against transmitter listings. Everything is set and I'm not picking up anything on the signal meters on the receivers, either, so as far as frequencies go I'm set.

Also, Shure UHF-R is great 'cause I have all of the receivers networked together to be able to monitor battery and signal levels on my laptop.

I do know how to set frequencies properly and used the Shure WWB software to make sure that there were no other low-power devices on campus that I need to worry about. After scanning with WWB, I let it do frequency assignments and then double-checked against transmitter listings. Everything is set and I'm not picking up anything on the signal meters on the receivers, either, so as far as frequencies go I'm set.

Also, Shure UHF-R is great 'cause I have all of the receivers networked together to be able to monitor battery and signal levels on my laptop.

Awesome! Yeah all of the good systems allow for computer readings nowadays. It's really a lifesaver.

Hi

I am ready to purchase 6 UR4D+ dual wireless receivers (I will have 12 mics total) and a power distribution antenna system. Question- should each set of UR4D+ RECEIVERS HAVE A DIFFERENt frequency setting, for example, (H4-518-578 MHZ), or should I get all the same frequency settings for each receiver? Specs say I can only use one distro unit per 4 receivers so I cam going to need 2 of them. So does each distro unit run on one frequency setting? If so then would I want 3 dual receivers that I put on a distro unit to all be the same frequency?

A little advice on the subject would be nice and thanks in advance.

Chad

The number and type of different frequency sets you want to purchase really depends on several factors such as other RF in your area, what frequencies your other 6 wireless systems are on (or can be tuned to), and what your plans are for the future. You will really want to do a proper frequency sweep of your venue, and properly coordinate the frequencies to minimize intermodulated frequencies and maximize the number of usable wireless channels. Certainly all of the systems can potentially fit in the same frequency set, but it may not be desirable or possible given your specific situation.

The Shure distros work across multiple frequency sets. The Shure UA844SWB covers 470-952MHz, so it will cover all of the frequency sets currently available.

~Dave

Last edited:
HI David

thanks you for the advice. Can you give me an idea on how I can do a frequency sweep of our space? Our school is in Shanghai China so I am not quite sure to communicate this need to our chinese staff so that they can find someone in the hardware to do it. Can you give me specific equipment or hardware that would be needed to do a proper frequency sweep?
Thanks

Chad

It would be best to try and find someone in your area who coordinates RF on a regular basis to do this for you, as there are so many variables to consider. A good starting point for you to do it in house would be to get a spectrum analyzer like the one I listed below, and scan your venue to see what type of RF activity is in your area. Shure also make Wireless Workbench software that is a free download that will help assist you in coordinating your existing frequencies. However, do not rely solely on that, since it does not account for all of the RF that can be in your area.

PC-based RF analyzers, wireless microphones, wireless, Invisible Waves

~Dave

This is China, so one of 2 things will be true;
a - There is no regulation of RF at all
b - EVERY transmitter must be licenced and frequency assigned by the government.

Or the rules are B but the reality is a...

I think finding a stable RF environment is just not going to happen, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back