Control/Dimming Multiplex (Microplex) vs. DMX

Hi
We have two 16 channel multiplex dimmers for our lighting setup at church. I was interested in purchasing some software and a dongle from VenueMagic to automate this year's lights (we're only using PAR cans). Our other lighting guy said he'd have to check out if the VenueMagic DMX software was compatible with our multiplex dimmers. I'm not sure about the difference between the two since I thought the dimmers were DMX. Anybody care to explain to a newbie interesting if learning about lighting?
Thanks

I believe that multiplexing is merely the process of transmitting multiple data streams over a single channel. Are you sure the dimmers aren't controlled by Microplex? Microplex and DMX are two different protocols. Microplex is an analog protocol. DMX is a digital protocol. Most computer dongles for lighting control output DMX. If your dimmers are controlled by Microplex and the dongle outputs DMX, you'll need an interface to convert one to the other. A 5 pin XLR to 3 pin XLR adapter won't convert the data. But if your dimmers are DMX, then any dongle that outputs DMX will work with your dimmers. Unless the circumstances are strange, such as with older Martin equipment or newer Chinese equipment, DMX is cross-compatible between any manufacturer. In general, excepting DJ gear, any device with a 3 pin XLR connector accepts Microplex, while any device with a 5 pin XLR connector accepts DMX.

In general, excepting DJ gear, any device with a 3 pin XLR connector accepts Microplex, while any device with a 5 pin XLR connector accepts DMX.

Not at all true. Up until about 4-5 years ago nearly every moving light on the market was 3 pin DMX only. Cyberlights, technobeams, studiocolors, and studio spots are all 3 pin only. Newer fixture usually have both 3 or 5 pin XLR connections.

The Wiki has great information about both microplex and DMX.
Microplex - ControlBooth
DMX - ControlBooth

Hey
Thanks everybody for all your help. It's looking like this protocol converter is what we're going to need but I'll be running it past the other tech guy just to make sure. Again, thanks the assistance especially bishopthomas.

Hi Again Everybody
I've found out from the other tech guy that our dimmers are either ND 4600s or ND 5000s from Leviton and are using the Microplex protocol. The converters given on this forum are what we're going to need. So thanks for all your help.
Just another question from the newbie.
I see that many DMX dimmers are usually only 4 or 6 channel. I thought a channel was the reference used on the lightboard to control that one fixture. However, I see that for one channel there are two sockets. Are they just both for slider 1 on the lightboard. If I have a four channel dimmer can I only control 4 fixtures?
Sorry to bother but thanks for the feedback!

You can put as many fixtures on the same circuit as the circuit can handle. Your dimmer is set up so that you can plug two fixtures in. Both fixtures have to be below the maximum rating of the dimmer circuit. So, if you have the 4600 you can put a maximum of 600 watts on that one circuit. Now, whatever you plug in there will be on the same DMX channel and will be controlled together. Your dimmer doesn't know or care if there are two lights or one. It just regulates how much voltage is going to whatever is on the other end. Plugging in a series of pin spots is a very common scenario where several lights are patched to one circuit and controlled as a group.

Also to answer your other question or rather statement, how ever many are on the pack does not mean that it directly correlates to the circuit. we have ND 4600's and they can be set to be a certain range, always in the same group of 4, or 6 if you have the capacity, but they can be run as 1-4, 5-8, 9-12.... Etc.

Thanks, John, for letting us know about its long term use. I have one installed in a church and it's been there for around a year. They probably have forgotten that it's even there.

Hi
We have two 16 channel multiplex dimmers for our lighting setup at church. I was interested in purchasing some software and a dongle from VenueMagic to automate this year's lights (we're only using PAR cans). Our other lighting guy said he'd have to check out if the VenueMagic DMX software was compatible with our multiplex dimmers. I'm not sure about the difference between the two since I thought the dimmers were DMX. Anybody care to explain to a newbie interesting if learning about lighting?
Thanks

What is the specific model of the dimmer, Some dimmers (some NSI models for instance the dds series) can be upgraded to dmx quite easily

Sharyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back