Name that (Big!) Connector: G4100/stage plug

Footer

Senior Team
Senior Team
Premium Member
I am cleaning out the basement of my theatre and stripping copper of the 2 generation of old dimmer racks I have down there. I have two of these connectors on some old 6k dimmers. What are they? Who made them? What where they rated for? Can you still use this connector today? Bonus points if you can get a hold of a spec sheet for the connector.

As always, if you consider yourself a professional in any way or are old enough to remember using this connector, please refrain from posting for a week or until the question is answered!

proxy.php

proxy.php

And this is the other connector, this time with a GamCheck for scale...

proxy.php

Last edited:
My guess, and it is only a guess, is that is the connector, that mounts to the back of a dimmer module. When the dimmer module is pushed in to a slot in the rack, or housing, It connects neutral, two phases of power for two dimmers such as SCRs and then returns the dimmed circuits to the rack or housing to go to the loads.
I base this guess, on the fact that it strikes a very close resemblence to the connector on the back of an EDI MKVII dimmer module.

I'm more interested in that thing in the corner. What the heck is that!? Medieval torture device?
proxy.php

OK, "Name that (Big!) Connector."

I'm gonna go with "Fred."

Last edited:
The strange thing in the corner is indeed the top of a stage brace. A stage brace was a wooden (Oak) or metal (aluminum) "pole" with an adjustable length due to sliding (wood) or telescoping (aluminum) and tightened down with a medium sized thumb screw. The upper hook twisted into the hole of a brace cleat (see previous post) making a very secure, rapid, attachment to the back a standard type of flat as much as 12' above the ground without tools or a ladder. The lower end of the brace was attached to the floor with a stage screw directly into the floor or an improved stage screw with a metal threaded plug into the floor or simply weighted with a flor late and sand bag. With standard construction, usually soft covered, this was an extreamly fast and secure way to fasten and asemble a large set. Often teamed with lashing hardware and lash lines. Lashing allowed a single stagehand to fasten two 16' tall flats together alont the entire height in less than 10 seconds, no tools, by himself (a second stage hand had to bring the second flat but did not have to help with the fastening.)! The method is still used where a set is used ofte such as a small quior shell or a news broadcast show etc and uses the aluminum braces with permenant threaded inserts in to the floor for the bottom attachment.

Michael Powers, Project Manager, ETCP Certified Rigger - Theatre
Central Lighting & Equipment, Des Moines, Central Lighting & Equipment

I should have made part two its own Question of the Day.:( In addition to MPowers, coldnorth57 and philhaney also supplied correct answers.

I'm sure Footer has other QotD material in that room!

Sorry for the hijack everyone.
Back to topic: I bet I know at least two, not very old, theatres in Chicago that have that connector (or similar) still in use.

Hard to tell from the photo, but it appears that maybe is there an interlock on it? So, 2 hots, 2 commons and a ground...

Just to kill this rat hole that Derek caused once and for all...

Both the stage brace and stage screw were relics from college. The eye bolt next to it was a hand forged I bolt that was attached to the smoke pocket in my current theatre.

The stage brace was something I got when I was in college and we were cleaning out the "old gym". The "old gym" was built in 1906, had a raked running track around the perimter, and was used as the theatre dept. scene shop for 20 when I got to that school. There was all kinds of fun stuff stuffed tucked into all the corners, including an old coffin.

The red thing is a stage screw. One version on the screw was patented in the town my college was in. We kind of had it as our mascot and everyone in my class had one. Our saying was "Decatur, IL, Screwing the Stage since 1914".

I have this patent hanging on my wall....
proxy.php

STAGE-SCREW - Google Patent Search

We still use these connectors! Its what we use to power our CAMlocks for our 12-channel old CD-80 dimmer packs in our black box. I know they are at least rated for 28.8K. The name is escaping me at the moment though.

500 V 10-20A 3 phase with earth most likely Ip11

10A, 20A, 32A, 40A, 50A and 60A and 5 pins for equipment and distribution boards that require neutral and earth. one pin for each of the phases
Protected Accessories to IP66 in page 4

http://www.clipsal.com.au/trade/__data/page/81/W0000791.pdf
has it some in info on it.

it i think a Australia type from a fast WWW search

that is my guess.

Your getting at least in the ball park.

It is made in the US and specifically for theatrical use. It is UL listed.

Does it make you old when I knew what the odd thing in the corner was without thinking? I'll stay out of the connector question for now. :)

Does it make you old when I knew what the odd thing in the corner was without thinking? I'll stay out of the connector question for now. :)

Not old Michael, experienced beyond your years!

:grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back