Name that (Big!) Connector: G4100/stage plug

Nope. All pins are flush with each other. That was my 1st sign that this is not at all a modern connector. It balances perfectly when sat on a table on its pins. The feeder cable for it was #2. It was feeding a 6pack of 6k's. In order to get the connectors off I used a sawzall.

Do you have a mating female? If so, take some pix--I think there's more fascinating archeology in the female pin mounting method.

ST

Do you have a mating female? If so, take some pix--I think there's more fascinating archeology in the female pin mounting method.

ST

I don't. It could be down in that basement somewhere though. I will keep an eye out.

That looks vaguely familiar... Was that the connector that Doc Brown used in Back to the Future when he hooked up the cable to the lightning rod above city hall?

Yes, it is. He also used 2-fer boxes. That is THE original stage connector, still in use in many old halls. I have a few of those connections that are now defunct in my pit.

I've been in a few old spaces that have the female ends of the old stage plug but never any males that I've been able to find.

... Was that the connector that Doc Brown used in Back to the Future when he hooked up the cable to the lightning rod above city hall?
Yes and no. The one in the movie was the more "modern" Mole Richardson-style studio stage plug, still available today.

proxy.php

http://s347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/derekleffew/?action=view&current=BTTFstagePlug.jpg

For comparison, both styles are pictured in the wiki entry stage plug.

Last edited:
Yes and no. The one in the movie was the more "modern" Mole Richardson-style studio stage plug, still available today.

proxy.php

For comparison, both styles are pictured in the wiki entry stage plug.

Derek, can you also find the brand and model of the rope light in the flux capacitor? I am in need of building one to correct the wrongs of the past....

Derek, can you also find the brand and model of the rope light in the flux capacitor? I am in need of building one to correct the wrongs of the past....

IIRC, due to its lack of UL-Listing, STEVETERRY had it banned, and the original manufacturer went of out business. Check ebay for a used one.

If you search into a past post about "wall of shame" I have a 1926 version of the outlet out of a floor pocket or wall pocket and even a wooden paddle version of this "improved" plug. This plus other versions of it in photo. Believe they were rated for 30A.

To save everyone the searching...
From the thread Real Stage Pin:
attachment.php

The yellow one looks to be the standard 50A stage plug. The orange one looks to be someone's attempt at a homemade copy.

That looks vaguely familiar... Was that the connector that Doc Brown used in Back to the Future when he hooked up the cable to the lightning rod above city hall?

I think so. It's also the connector that kills the entire royal family in the opening scenes of King Ralph (they're taking the Royal Family photograph outdoors in the rain. Someone pulls one of these plugs out of a distro box that is half submerged in a puddle of water, shakes it out, and plugs it back in. Next thing, flash! And the entire royal family is dead, prompting a search for the next in line to the throne. Who do they find? Ralph Jones (John Goodman) living in America).

To save everyone the searching...
From the thread The yellow one looks to be the standard 50A stage plug. The orange one looks to be someone's attempt at a homemade copy.

Thanks - you are a master at bringing up old stuff. Don't know the rating on the yellow one - dismanteled my "wall of shame" it's somewhere up in my garage ceiling at this point.

Neither were home made and in fact the "orange one" came out of active stock at a 1926 theater before I upgraded their floor and wall pockets. It was rated for 30A. The yellow one, no longer in active service but also in stock there.

See the PDF of my 1916 Chicago Stage Lightig catalogue (here and hopefully on the Kliegl Brother's website - if they ever expand beyond just one brand they list.) Both plugs were available for sale and in fact it has lots more important theater lighting history that the 1914 Kliegl catalogue to the 1926 catalogue gap in history fills in. (When did the incandescent Plano Convex fixture come out or Ovalites become filament lamps?) This plus a fascinating introduction to read - perhaps a shot over the bow at Display, Kliegl or other companies?

Last edited by a moderator:
We found a bunch of plug boxes for stage plugs when we gutted our deck post-2008 flood. Had been buried & forgotten for nearly 30 years, didn't look to be in very bad shape. Sadly, they were ripped out & trashed during the reno; the new stage deck is pretty great, though... (Plyron & plywood, oooh).

Does it make you old when I knew what the odd thing in the corner was without thinking? I'll stay out of the connector question for now. :)
the odd thing in the corner is called a french brace in the UK. they must have originated from france i presume. they are still used today fairly regularly. the design hasnt changed much. they do tend to be the longest surviving item to be found back stage.

the connector i have no idea about as i am but a humble set builder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back