Need a free projection program

I need to be able to run both projections and sound off of one laptop. I was fortunate enough to use ProPresenter 5 for a play which worked beautifully but due to circumstances I can't use it again (for free). I want the screen to be black whenever there isn't a projection being run, which is basic enough, but I've struggled with to find a good projection program to do this with.

P.S. I use a Windows 8 Laptop

For free, you will probably be relegated to Video Projection Tool.

There are others which provide you with a free trial, but many won't allow you to save. If you plan on doing more productions in the future, I'd recommend buying a license to a software so that you will continue to get better instead of learning a new software per project.

You could also try vlc. Needs a few settings to get it to play consistently in fullscreen on a 2nd monitor/screen without the control interface showing on that 2nd monitor.

As for the black between videos, vlc autoplays the next item in the playlist, so create a black video of 10-30secs which you must pause, until you click on the next item in the playlist. Insert this black video between all other videos in the playlist.

To setup vlc to play on the 2nd monitor/screen in fullscreen mode -
1. Connect your second monitor (ensure it is identified as "2" in Windows' Display Settings)
2. In vlc Tools > Preferences > Interface > All (under Show Settings at the bottom left corner) > scroll down to 'Video'
3. Under ALL > Video - General video settings:
Leave all items at their default settings, except for the following -
Enable "Fullscreen video output"
Disable "Embedded video"
Disable "Show media title on video"

Scroll further down to 'Window properties'
Video X coordinate 1920 (or end of your 1st monitor width)
Video Y coordinate 1 (do not leave as 0)

Save.
Might be better to exit vlc at this stage and re-start it to use the new settings.

That's it. vlc should now open any video in the playlist in fullscreen mode whilst the playlist and player controls remain on the primary monitor.

ThomasL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back