Need Help With Drop Boxes!?..

thanks Van! I can't wait to see them! Thanks a bunch bro! I understand. its alright. i have to build compression legs for 16 platforms for this show so i have been busy at work doing those!!! and i am the only one doing them! so ya its fun! oh and i got side tracked while screwing the legs together and my gun slipped and hit my hand. wooo boy. i got a big old welt on my hand now! fun huh? thanks again for this!

No prob. Hey I know where you are coming from, I gave myself the ultimate "Makita Finger" once when I tried to drive a phillips bit through the palm of my hand. Luckily I was driving with my right hand and it was my left that got hit. I couldn't open my hand for two days cause the tendons were so swollen. Ouch.

Hey Van, did you mean to attach an image to your second last post?

... Uhhh No No , I was uh going to wait until today, cause it's so much easier to go back and edit the message then go to advanced editing and add the attachment later.... Yeah, That's the ticket !

Thanks for catching that, Chris.:oops:

I agree. It is SO much easier to add an attachment later...:rolleyes::mrgreen:

Just keeping people awake and on their toes...

btfilms, I'm so sorry I spaced out this week. I just got buried under our annual fund-raiser. Here's th edrawings I promised. Questions ? don't hesitate to email me.

Attachments

• rolldropanddropbox.dwg
    66.5 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:
Yeah the Autodesk DWGviewr works fine and offer support for a wide variety plotters, and printer outputs. Vectorworks will import a .dwg and allow you edit it, which autodesks viewer will not. Of course if you have a copy of AutoCAD no problem either. BTW BTfilms if you need this in another format let me know I can export it in almost anything.

Thanks VAn!! No I have Auto CAD so dwg works fine. Thanks again. but one question how do you trigger this thing? and where could i get the Dormeyer Solenoid from? i think thats what it is at least. thanks again.

Oh yeah I guess you'd want to know those things huh ? Sorry I'm completely scatter-brained lately. The solenoid is availible at Grainger, Don't worry they deliver everywhere. the solenoid it a 110v version, I preffer to tie it into a close dimmer set to a non-dim, then make a "bump" button on the board. Or depending on your board just make a real quick cue. There are other solenoids available if you have issues with the 110v stuff Dormeyer makes a 24v with almost all the same characteristics, but it does a pretty large power supply < high amps> .

As far as those drawing go be sure to follow the notes where it says to bolt through the material you make the bottom out of. That's a very important safety thing, a screw just wont cut it there.

Good luck don't hesitate to e-mail with questions if necessary, contrary to what Chris15 believes I'm notalways on here. But I am alway reciveing e-mail.

Actually the Electrical actuation of a drop box is quite simple and the parts are easily availible from Grainger. The Solenoids I prefer using are 120 and can be wired directly to a dimmer so it makes triggering them as easy as bumping a channel , or if you prefer run cable to a backstage area, near the P.A. or A.S.M. and they can trigger it with an aux. power switch.

Van,

Do you (or anyone else reading this) have a part number on the solenoid that you have found that you prefer? There are plenty of 120v solenoids on Grainger, and I was just wondering if you'd found one that you preferred.. I need to build 3 or 4 drop boxes for an upcoming show and am hoping to cheat and use your research ;-)

Cheers,

Joe

Sure ! I've built a ton of them. What's your situation. Theatre? Sound stage? How heavy is your fabric? How are your electric skills ? Rigging a box to drop via a solenoid isquite simple but it does require a modicum of skill with wood, electrics, and rigging. How big of an area do want the drop to happen over, eg. a 8 " wide x 6' long box Or do you want the banner to drop in the middle of stage and other boxes located all over the place so the drop happens over a whole large area. ?????
??

Van,
Sounds like you may be able to help on a related question. 1st year TD MFA grad student so we are talking theatre. I have used a flag drop before, and am trying to adapt the technology to drop individual leaves. I was wondering if you could tell me what type of solenoid system is typically used and perhaps where I could find more info on it...e.g. pricing, availability, etc. I looked on McMaster-Carr - but they have a huge selction of solenoids and I am not sure what type I am looking for. The only one I have used was basically a doorbell type switch, with small pins inserted into cylinders, that when you hit the switch the pins came loose and the flag dropped. Sorry if this is a strange question. I am taking an "elegant solutions" class and the prof is less than helpful. I really appreciate any info you could give.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back