Need ideas: guarding backstage protrusions

On the back wall of our stage we have 4 hand-crank hoists for the backdrop and lights.
We have tried a few things to keep people from hitting them while walking backstage. The foam never seems to stay on the crank, and we have tried putting white t-shirts on them to make sure they get seen but it still doesn't seem to stop all injury.
Does anybody else have a problem like this? How do you cover your winch?

How about soft stanchions (like what they use to keep you in line at the movie theatre). Easy to strike if need be, and when in place would give the person a tactile reminder that they're about to run into equipment. Also you don't have any nonsense hanging or attached to your winches. A small trip hazard is present if they walk directly into the stand, but I'd rather fight that battle than run into a hand crank.

Do you think it would work to put glow-in-the-dark tape on the crank. Maybe people will be smart enough to go "Hey look, there is a piece of equipment there"

Honestly, I would contemplate building a three sided wall/box to put around the cranks. Or you could consider building a counter that goes underneath the cranks. This would create usable work space, while stopping people from being able to walk into the cranks.

How are they lit? Is there a way to illuminate them better?

Well for one i would remove the crank handle when not in use. another thing to do would be to install a very stout bumper or railing around the devices.

Cool, you'll find them pretty darn handy!

I saw the thread on the so-called GaffTaper Memorial clip light and enjoyed the banter. Then I realized I actually needed some clip lights and since it's a better lamp for the same price the box stores want it was a no brainer.

My first thought was some sort of bumper or deflector, sort of like this, but obviously much larger:
proxy.php

I've seen larger ones in some back of house corridors, but can't find any pictures on the 'net. If homemade, not sure what to make it out of. Must be strong, yet slightly pliable. Foam over plywood probably.

But, if better illumination of the hazard is possible, that might* work better. I'd probably use LED ropelight though. Sorry @Kelite.

*Thinking of actors/dancers using the area as a cross-over, running from one side of the stage to the other. One can make it as bright as daylight and they'll still run into any obstruction/protrusion. "Gazelle onstage, hippopotamus backstage."

@brownnathanial, can you post a picture of the area in question? Maybe that will spur other ideas.

That one doesn't have the gel frame though.

Yeah... my gut reactions is to not like it as much. I appreciate the savings in gel cost, but I'm not a fan of the lessened versatility. The google description says it still has a gel retainer, the others don't mention it though, and I don't see it in the pictures.

Yeah... my gut reactions is to not like it as much. I appreciate the savings in gel cost, but I'm not a fan of the lessened versatility. The google description says it still has a gel retainer, the others don't mention it though, and I don't see it in the pictures.
Yeah, while those Blue CFL's are really nice and bright, I often find them too bright. I like the gel frame that allows me to put in a gel with the perfect amount of saturation for my intended use. I don't need something extremely bright to light up a prop table for instance....especially one that is behind a cyc in a blackbox theatre.

The original Apollo Clip Light product has been sold out by that dealer, apparently, with the updated Clip Light 2 model filling its shoes. (I personally prefer the original, with the stainless steel gel frame and low wattage tungsten lamp.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back