Need to fabricate 6 (cheap) doors. Materials and design help please

Nox4

Hi all,

I'm staging Ken Ludwig's Lend Me a Tenor, at the high school in which I work, and need some desperate help designing a bunch of doors that open/close (you know, basically a door ;) ). My problem is that it needs to be done cheap as the school gives me no budget, and they can't be too bulky because the stage is tiny. Not easy, I know, so I'm hoping someone smarter and more experienced than me can help.
Here is an image that might be helpful, my stage will look similar in terms of how the doors are arranged but I'm considering only having one door on stage right.
lmat_001.jpg
http://www.kenludwig.com/plays/lend_me_a_tenor/lmat_001.jpg

Any help will be much appreciated

Regards,
Nick Wilcox

Last edited by a moderator:
In the states I'd usually recommend buying prehung hollow core doors at a home center. Perhaps not in South Africa. To make a hollow core door, I cut a 1x2 frame, on the flat (so the frame is 3/4" thick.) Lay the frame out on the table and glue the top surface. Place a thin sheet (1/8" lauan or hardboard) on top and attach it to the frame, making sure the frame stays lined up. (The sheet is holding the frame together.) Then flip it over and attach a second sheet.

It's basically a hard-covered flat, Broadway using a full sheet on the back instead of corner blocks, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second kicknargel's suggestion. Ive done the same myself...

Thanks very much kicknargel, that's incredibly helpful. Much appreciated

Thanks also rsmentele, very good to know

Ditto on the recommendation above. If this will be in place for any length of time beware of warpage. Thicker door will help prevent this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back