NEMA Receptacle Safety

Skervald

I may be being over cautious here but has anyone ever seen a plastic safety plug for a 14-50R outlet? I'm thinking of something similar to what one would use in a home with small children. We recently purchased some additional rehearsal space that was once used as a photography studio. There is a 14-50R receptacle in the space and we could have some younger children in there at times. I may end up just putting an outdoor lockable cover on it anyway but I thought it was worth the ask.

Never saw a safety plug for a 15-50, but why don't you just go to home depot and buy the male plug. Assemble it empty and stick it in there. That will keep things nice and covered. I think they're about $10
proxy.php

By code... any opening larger than 1/4" has to be plugged so shove a cork or something into the cord grip part of this plug if you go that far. I would think though that turning off the circuit breaker or removing it and breaker plugging the hole from it, if you don't intend to use it would be a just fine solution. Realizing also if by memory, code says if you remove the breaker you have to remove the wiring "abandoned". Others would know more about this. Perhaps leave the breaker and get a safety lock out for the breaker so it cannot be turned on until such a point you might want to use it. Once off, no need to plug.

I certainly agree that switching off breakers or something like that is probably a wise idea.

But think about this... With small children, inevitably there are parents not far behind.
Many of those parents will not be technical people.
So how many of them are going to see an outlet and assume it's dead? Hopefully none of them...

So if it were me, I'd be looking to put a dummy plug in - use say hot glue or silicone to close the cable entry hole
OR I'd disconnect it and install a blank plate instead if I wanted a more permanent solution.

I'd hate for you to create a situation where because the outlet has been isolated in your space, that people assume that a similar outlet in another space is also isolated, to potentially disastrous consequences...

If it is hot, I would get a plug, seal the cord port, and saw off the two phase blades, then shove it in. If at all possible, flip the breaker. If permanent, then pull the receptacle and the breaker, and cover with a blank plate.
That's the thing. With most of these plugs, the blades are packed separate. Just omit the two hots when you put it together. Breaker off is a good idea, but unless it can be locked and tagged, then it could be false security. The NEMA receptacle itself passes the UL probe test, but you know kids and keys!

I'd go for a cover that you could lock, if necessary. Even something as simple as a clear acrylic plate screwed into the wall to close off access to the receptacle would do, plus have the advantages of being cheaper than a fake plug, and easier to install and remove as needed.

The thing I didn't like about a dummy plug was if pulled out, same hazard you are trying to mitigate. If you'll never want it, remove as others suggested. If you might want it powered again, disconnect and leave in place.

I think we are over thinking this. I really like either a lockable cover, switching the breaker off, or both. Heck, I'm sure most people would just gaff tape over it, not that I'm suggesting that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I'm not a big fan of the dummy plug. It looks weird, which might encourage people to investigate what's going on there.
I work in a very large theatre and we have a lockout device on most of our unused disconnects, so I wouldn't way this is an unusual thing to do. OSHA approved 2 pole lockout devices are available for $10.53 on Grainger. An OSHA approved padlock is $16.80 on Grainger but you could probably find a compatible padlock for cheaper. This way is not expensive, you don't have any loose wires in the walls, and there are no dummy plugs that could be removed. Also it'll take you a minute to install, and you won't have to open up any electrical enclosures.

Side question, what would a photography studio use a plug like that for?

Studio lighting. Think big honkin' fresnels paired with big honkin' dimmers.

This is what I love about CB! Post a seemingly mundane question, get lots of opinions and lots of great advice from people way more experienced than I am. I'm going to go with the locking cover. Chris15 brings up a great point. I don't want to lull anyone into a false sense of security around receptacles. Removing it and the associated wiring may be the long term solution but this will give us flexibility until that decision is made. I'll probably also flip the breaker and label it just for an extra measure of safety. Thanks, everyone for the input!

Another option if it may get semi-regular use is one of those heavy duty lockable disconnect switches. Better than throwing breakers all the time, and intended to be padlocked out.

Yet another option you have is a circuit breaker handle lock. They slip on over the handle (either in the on or off position), and you can use a screwdriver to tighten them onto the handle. They prevent someone from being able to flip the handle to another position without first unscrewing this device and removing it. This isn't to be confused with a proper lock-out/tag-out lock that would allow you to actually stick a padlock onto the circuit breaker handle, but I suspect for your application this is sufficient. Just a simple reminder to anyone poking their head into the panel that this is the circuit breaker must be locked in the off position for a reason and not to mess with it.

Saw them a lot in one theater I worked in. They were on all of the emergency lighting and exit circuits so someone wouldn't accidentally turn off those circuit breakers.

proxy.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back