Control/Dimming Net3/Net2 Configuration and Learning

scolby

Hello everyone! I am a university student and have been working a lot lately with our auditorium's Ion console. I found our client dongle buried in the back of the tech closet and wanted to get my MacBook working as a client on the network. After googling around and checking here and over at Etc, I still have not managed to get it to work. Meanwhile, I began investigating the setup of our network in the space and trying to figure out how everything is put together. However, I seem to have hit a stone wall. The final straw came when I finally put the Ion into admin mode and opened up GCE. Despite all the addresses/DHCP/etc. apparently being configured correctly, no Net3 devices were found. I clicked View>View Non-configurable ACN Devices and found all of the Net3 gateways there. Does anyone know why they are viewed as non-configurable?

When Ion was turned on in the normal show interface, I looked at the network configuration in the diagnostics page. I have attached a basic copy of what was shown there (I had to type it out, so all the serial numbers/MAC addresses are missing). Can anyone help explain how the network topology appears to work? For our moving lights/leds, there is a 2-port gateway hung on each electric (Portable 1 through Portable 4 are their names). The 4-port gateway is in the tech closet back by the dimmers, configured with two outputs and two inputs. I do not know what it connects to.

Sensor CEM+: Rack 1
Net 2 10.101.101.101

Sensor CEM+: Rack 3
Net 2 10.101.101.103

Sensor CEM+: Rack 2
Net 2 10.101.101.101

Ion Console: NEIon
Net 2 10.101.100.101

ION Console NEIon
ACN Online 10.101.101.101

Net3 2-Port Gateway Portable 2
ACN Online 10.101.50.129

Net 3 4-Port Gateway BACK EQ Rack
ACN Online 10.101.50.127

Net 3 2-Port Gateway Portable 3
ACN Online 10.101.50.104

Net 3 2-Port Gateway Portable 4
ACN Online 10.101.50.103

Net3 2-Port Gateway Portable 1
ACN Online 10.101.50.128

ETC Sensor+ Control Module CEM+ Group Component: group 1
ACN Online 10.101.101.101

ION Console NEIon_1: Default Page_
ACN Online Connected 10.101.100.101 ['Master' Data source]

Hi scolby,

First, you can and should run GCE from within the E.C.U. without exiting and logging in as an admin. It can be found as a button on the maintenance tab within the settings section. Logging in as admin should only be done while talking with ETC Technical Services and even then is only done as a last resort.

Now that I have that rant out of my system, it would appear that you are likely running an older version of GCE on the console that is not compatible with newer versions of gateway code. I would recommend updating GCE on the console to the latest version (3.0.2 at the time of this post). This installs just like a software update for Ion by scrolling down to the bottom of the general tab and choosing {Software Update} with the ETC_GCE_Net3Svc_v3.0.2.9.0.18.exe file in the root directory of a USB drive inserted in the console. Follow the on screen instructions and allow the console to reboot after the install.

If this doesn't clear up your issue, you may be running the gateways in Net2 mode instead of ACN (Net3) mode. Gateways that are running in Net2 mode are configured using ETCNet2 Network Configuration Editor (NCE) (also available as a button on the maintenance tab if installed on the console, can be installed on the console just like a software update and GCE) only. They do appear in the non-configurable ACN device list because you can switch them from Net2 to ACN mode using GCE. To verify what mode your gateways are running, tap the single button on the front of the gateway to view the patching information for each port. If it says "EDMX" with a number, then it is in Net2 mode. If it says "sACN" with a number, then it is in ACN mode.

Finally, it would appear that there are some duplicate IP addresses in your list. I am ignoring those as likely typos for the moment. But, if they aren't typographical errors, then they could also be another source of network problems.

Hi scolby,
Finally, it would appear that there are some duplicate IP addresses in your list. I am ignoring those as likely typos for the moment. But, if they aren't typographical errors, then they could also be another source of network problems.

To build on Kirk's post - from the About System screen, or even in the Utilities->Diagnostics Network Info screen, there are some devices that are listed twice (or three times, as it may be), but this is absolutely normal. This shouldn't be confused with duplicate IP addresses. The Ion has multiple entries in this list because of the various roles it has on the network - similarly with the CEM+ #1. Primarily, the IP conflict between CEM+ #1 and #2 is what causes the most concern.

Hans

Kirk, the problem was indeed the version of GCE installed on the console. Also, the IP for Rack 2 was a typo, it is actually 10.101.101.102.

Now that this is solved, I have two other questions. Are the CEM+'s configurable via GCE? They do not appear to be able to be switched to Net3 mode, and only Rack 1 appears in the non-configurable ACN devices dialogue box. I have tried accessing them from a web browser at their IP address and using the default username and password (which has likely not been changed). Each time I do, I receive an error "Unable to find language and encoded login tags in login POST".

And finally, would this have had any effect on my computer's ability to connect as a client and if not, what other issues could prevent this, as this functionality is still not working. The client software is stuck at "searching for master console..."

EDIT: I had the idea to remove all variables from the system by not going through any sort of gateway or switch and instead plugging an ethernet cable directly from the console to my computer. The client software was still unable to find a master. Any ideas on what is going wrong? (It is clear that when plugged into the switch, communication to the Ion is possible as my computer obtains a DHCP assignment from it and pings work as well. I also tried disabling OSX's firewall to no avail.)

Last edited:
Now that this is solved, I have two other questions. Are the CEM+'s configurable via GCE? They do not appear to be able to be switched to Net3 mode, and only Rack 1 appears in the non-configurable ACN devices dialogue box. I have tried accessing them from a web browser at their IP address and using the default username and password (which has likely not been changed). Each time I do, I receive an error "Unable to find language and encoded login tags in login POST".
CEM+ modules are not configurable via GCE. This is the reason that they appear in the non-configurable ACN device list. When trying to access Sensor+ Connect (the CEM+ web interface), the only browser that will work is Internet Explorer 6. This is hard coded in the CEM+ and cannot be changed. You can use newer versions of Internet Explorer, but they need to have their UA string changed to report as IE6. More information about this can be found on the ETC Wiki.

And finally, would this have had any effect on my computer's ability to connect as a client and if not, what other issues could prevent this, as this functionality is still not working. The client software is stuck at "searching for master console..."

EDIT: I had the idea to remove all variables from the system by not going through any sort of gateway or switch and instead plugging an ethernet cable directly from the console to my computer. The client software was still unable to find a master. Any ideas on what is going wrong? (It is clear that when plugged into the switch, communication to the Ion is possible as my computer obtains a DHCP assignment from it and pings work as well. I also tried disabling OSX's firewall to no avail.)
There are a lot of things to discuss here...

The version of GCE should not have any effect on your computer connecting to an Ion console as a client. When attempting to connect as a client the number one issue that we see is that the version of client software downloaded and installed on the computer doesn't match the console's version. The client and console versions must match exactly. The fastest way to see the version number is to clear the command line and press [About].

If your computer is getting its IP address dynamically when connected to the Ion console and communicates fine via other network protocols, you have cleared the second most common hurdle: IP address. The client computer and console must be in the same IP address range and subnet. When the Address Server (DHCP) is on at the console, most computers will automatically obtain their address and connect properly. If you are using a static IP scheme on your computer, you must ensure that the address that you have chosen doesn't conflict with an address already in use and is within the same IP scheme as the console to connect.

Clients on Mac OSX do need to be installed and run by the administrator account (or an account with elevated privileges) because of the locations of some of the protocols needed within the OS. Also, if this computer hasn't been connected as a client to this master before, it may be necessary to choose the master manually. To do this, click {Troubleshoot} and when the console appears in the available masters list on the right side of the screen, select it and then choose {Change Master}. The show file should sync at this point.

Apple likes to change lots of things between OS X releases and sometimes this causes unexpected issues. If you are running Mountain Lion and are experiencing these issues, please be sure to call us at 800-688-4116 during normal business hours (8-5 CST M-F) to discuss further troubleshooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back