New ETC Colorsource Cyc

It looks like the the datasheet is not yet available so it's a little difficult to answer your question. The S4 LED cyc adapter recommends a 1.5:1 spacing to distance from cyc ratio and their photometric sheets are based on 4.5' spacing. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether the ColorSource Cyc uses a similar design given the significantly different form factor.

I demo'd the ColorSource Cyc recently. Overall I was very impressed by it. I do have a number of criticisms, too.

I was surprised by how tiny the light is -- about a foot square. That to me actually works against it, since it means instead of several long fixtures lighting the cyc, I'm dealing with twelve or fourteen tiny little things that, due to their lack of heft, might get knocked out of focus more easily. The small size also means it'll work great in spaces with very low ceilings -- one black box I work in has a 12' high grid, and this would be perfect for that space.

The fixture has a lot of beam spread. There's a baffle along one edge that acts like a single barn door flap, which is great for shuttering light off the floor. There's a lot of spill side to side, though, and no means of beam control. There's no accessory slot for a barn door -- so Blackwrap it is.

The buttons are, unfortunately, the same Chiclet (tm) style buttons as on the CS Par -- very small, easy to bump by accident.

The yoke was nice and sturdy, but it bolts straight into the side of the fixture, without even a lock washer. It can sit straight on the floor, but I'd want to bolt it to a piece of plywood or somesuch to make focusing multiples of these easier (and help them keep their focus).

Right now I'm looking to upgrade one space from T-3 style striplights to LEDs, and the contest is between used, older LED fixtures (like the ColorBlaze and ColorForce) or new ColorSource Cycs. Hmm.

I demo'd the ColorSource Cyc recently. Overall I was very impressed by it. I do have a number of criticisms, too.

I was surprised by how tiny the light is -- about a foot square. That to me actually works against it, since it means instead of several long fixtures lighting the cyc, I'm dealing with twelve or fourteen tiny little things that, due to their lack of heft, might get knocked out of focus more easily. The small size also means it'll work great in spaces with very low ceilings -- one black box I work in has a 12' high grid, and this would be perfect for that space.

The fixture has a lot of beam spread. There's a baffle along one edge that acts like a single barn door flap, which is great for shuttering light off the floor. There's a lot of spill side to side, though, and no means of beam control. There's no accessory slot for a barn door -- so Blackwrap it is.

The buttons are, unfortunately, the same Chiclet (tm) style buttons as on the CS Par -- very small, easy to bump by accident.

The yoke was nice and sturdy, but it bolts straight into the side of the fixture, without even a lock washer. It can sit straight on the floor, but I'd want to bolt it to a piece of plywood or somesuch to make focusing multiples of these easier (and help them keep their focus).

Right now I'm looking to upgrade one space from T-3 style striplights to LEDs, and the contest is between used, older LED fixtures (like the ColorBlaze and ColorForce) or new ColorSource Cycs. Hmm.

If accidental menu activation is a concern, the Altman Spectra Cyc may be a great unit for you. No accidental button presses will be able to adjust the menu, but neither will your intentional button presses because of the complicated scheme it takes to unlock the menu. Great LED cyc unit though.

I finally got to see a side by side of 3 CS Cycs and ETC's other cyc light options. Overall, I was very impressed. Even when next to the Source 4 LED S2 Luster with a Cyc Adapter. This fixture compares side by side with a Spectra Cyc on output, but I would say it has a much better color spectrum than the Altman option. I have used ColorForce's to light a cyc in the past, and frankly, I pull those off of a spec i am working on and replaced them with these as I was able to get better coverage, and more color spectrum out of the CS Cyc. The one reason I would still choose a ColorForce over this CS Cyc though would be situations with very limited space for throw distance, as you can see by the Cyc App, the cyc fixtures require at least 2.5' of space from the cyc to work effectively.

The S4LED or ColorSource Spot with cyc adapter do reach lower - or higher - than the ColorSource cyc - if you have a tall drop say over 18 to 20'. A row top and bottom solves that but I'm hesitant to plan on ground rows on many stage - like high schools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back