New light board for a high school

Hi, had the same problem, the Strand Pre-set pallet has no ML compatability (kindof does if you want to get super technical but its another story) Im a HS techie too, and pre-set boards are not great because you just can't expand them. You can download the OS (operating system) for the ION, its called EOS and its really good, simmilar to the strand, again, depending on how much you know a sub-master bank would be good, but i would recomend getting a remote focus remote first. The ION is easy to use for simple conventuanal fixtures, but is hugeley flexible when it comes to ML's, LED's ect. Really good consoles. And is networkable, meaning you can sit anywhere and controll the lights. Usefull for when teachers start to annoy you, if they walk into the booth, to find no one there, but the lighting going as planned. As for new heads of drama coming in and your budget, schools and tech-money is horrible! Audio gets all this money and ..... Don't get me started. Good luck, and you can download the EOS software for your computer here. http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/console/Eos-Console-v143.zip This shoud give you a chance to muck about and start to understand the sytax, if you need any more help, send me a PM, might be able to help you.
Good luck
Nick Jones

Every model of the new Strand Consoles runs exactly the same software, they just have different buttons and channel counts. So the Preset Palette has exactly the same ML functionality as the LightPalette VL, it just can't support the same number of channels and it doesn't have encoders. All you really need is to plug in a trackball and you will be plenty happy with ML programming. This is much like the 300 Series. Also, all of the Palette Series consoles can be expanded within the limitations of the processor. So, A preset palette can never handle as many channels at a LightPalette VL, but it can handle more than most high schools and even some professional theatres will ever need.

Also, by your definition of networkable, so to is the Palette series of consoles. You can connect them to a variety of devices from network nodes to other consoles. So, if you want to run your consoles from multiple locations you can as long as you run Cat5 to the console and have a DMX node on your network. This is the same for Ion.

This discussion on keypad entry versus using sliders is actually quite interesting, however it's not exactly what the OP was looking for. Could this maybe be split into it's own thread so we can continue to discuss it without bringing this thread too far off-topic?

My HS got a new lightboard about seven years ago, an ETC Express 48/96, and I would highly recommmend it.

If you can find a used Express for a good deal, go for it. The thing is great for ease of use (I am actually a sound guy, but this console was easy enough for me to learn in less than one week). It also supports advanced features for those who want to figure out how to use them (DMX extension, Architectural Control Systems, Presets, etc.)

Uhhh, this thread is well over a year old and chances are the OP already has a new lighting desk...

Additionally, the Express is over 15 years old, and is not a great recommendation to school looking ot get a new one. Getting one of ETC's newer consoles, such as an Element, is a much better idea for a new light board for a school. If that's not in your budget, a Smartfade would be your next option.

The Express, although the most popular light board in history, was discontinued about two years ago. It may still be possible to find a new one sitting in someone's warehouse, but purchasing one at this point would be unwise for many reasons. Do a little searching and you'll find a lot of posts here on the phasing out of the Express and it's replacement originally by Ion and now Element.

On the other hand, if you don't have a lot of money and are looking for a used console, an Express should be at the top of your list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back