New Shure Wireless

I like the idea of digital signals (been using Line 6 for awhile now), but the GLX-D uses a built-in rechargeable battery. Not sure I would be part of the first-gen experiment. But I think it's a step in the right direction.

built-in rechargeable battery. Not sure I would be part of the first-gen experiment. But I think it's a step in the right direction.

For the first time EVER, the Olympics last year used rechargables in their Shure (Axient) radio mics.
Shure got the technology right and it can be relied on. I know Steve and I know that unless it was absolutely totally reliable it would not have been used...

I assume, though perhaps incorrectly, that Shure would be using the same battery technologies they developed for Axient, then used in ULX-D in the lower end products .

Rechargeable batteries scare me if they aren't easily user replaceable. It's to easy to forget to charge the battery the night before an event. What happens when you have an all day event and the battery dies? Now instead of having extra batteries on hand, you need to have an extra mic pack or handheld on hand. And then when the battery won't hold a charge 2 or 3 years down the road you have to send it in to be replaced for what will probably be a nice chunk of change. And be without it for 2 weeks to maybe a month or more. So no thank you, I'll stick to alkalines or using my own rechargeable batteries.

Look at what they have for ULX-D;
Shure Americas | Microphones, Wireless Systems, Headphones, Earphones

You'd just buy enough battery packs to have 2 for each transmitter or the like.
Battery life of >10 hours is claimed with remaining time display to within 15 minutes.

It really does not make sense to keep throwing money away in alkaliners when rechargeable technology has come to prime time status now...
(We just won't mention Boeing...)

I use rechargable AA batteries exclusively in my older ULX and UHF-R systems. I get about 8 hours usable life out of a charge and my price to buy 3 sets of batteries for 24 RF mics PLUS charging was only slightly more than the alkaline AA battery cost for a single show. I now have about 300 performances on most of the batteries. Some are starting to lose capacity, but the return on investment has been VERY good.

I might be mistaken, but when I was looking at the new ULX-D in the shop the battery pack fit in an AA battery carriage meaning in a pinch you could remove the battery pack and insert two AA batteries in the mic.

I use rechargable AA batteries exclusively in my older ULX and UHF-R systems. I get about 8 hours usable life out of a charge and my price to buy 3 sets of batteries for 24 RF mics PLUS charging was only slightly more than the alkaline AA battery cost for a single show. I now have about 300 performances on most of the batteries. Some are starting to lose capacity, but the return on investment has been VERY good.

I might be mistaken, but when I was looking at the new ULX-D in the shop the battery pack fit in an AA battery carriage meaning in a pinch you could remove the battery pack and insert two AA batteries in the mic.

What brand and model are you using?

This is correct. Shure is saying that the ULX-D is "AA backwards compatible." Ha, what a concept.

I have been putting AAs into ULXDs all week for a show I'm working. They have a regular battery compartment that the rechargeable fits in (if you have one).

I normally use a large set of ULX-P body packs for all of my shows, but recently I got a chance to use about 30 ULX-D packs for a musical. The guys I worked with brought the recharagable packs, but none of us much cared for charging them every night, so we ditched them and used regular Alkaline and had no problems. I'd love to get my hands on a set of Axient though. :grin:

Shure is saying that the ULX-D is "AA backwards compatible." Ha, what a concept.

Let me be outright, this is not a personal comment back on you.

We as an industry, have for many years not been very sustainable.
The world has changed and it's time for us to start to catch up...

By using the rechargable packs, 26 THOUSAND AAs weren't used and didn't end up in landfill during the last Olympics.
Have we all forgotten the nasty mix of chemicals in a standard battery and the effect of these on the environment after we're done with them?
[/soapbox]

I like the idea of rechargeable batteries, but my problem is remembering to put them on the charger, and even worse, taking them OFF the charger. I don't know if this is a problem with the Shure products, but at our school, we have 39 battery powered drills. Last year, the student responsible for the shop forgot to take them off the charger before spring break. Then the day we came back, all the batteries but the two backups (which are old, don't work well, and are rarely used) were burnt out. This was the day we were loading the set into our mainstage theater for Crazy For You (HUGE SET). Unfortunately, none of our plug in drills would reach, and we didnt have enough enough ext. cord. I would be more worried of having a situation like this, rather than forgetting to charge them. I agree though on the environmental benefits.

This is not a problem with the Shure products. In fact, if you read the user guides, they even recommend storing the batteries in the chargers to avoid them being discharged or being damaged. Really is comes down to establishing good habits. Once you are into the habit of charging them upon load in, or after a show, or before loading the truck, it makes the whole system more reliable. And, having a case of traditional batteries in the work trunk is always a good back up in the event one forgets. With as fast as these charge, it certainly makes it easier to adjust to.

~Dave

Can anyone vouch for a good brand of rechargeable 9 volt batteries? I've only ever had bad experiences with them in the past so I'm very hesitant to make the switch, but I'm getting pressure from my boss to 'go green'.

PowerEx. Make sure that you follow the instructions to the letter and each battery will last you a solid year of daily performances. They have for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back