new to flying equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
40ft max span. Go to thomas's website and download the specs for their 12" truss. Take a look at the weight load distribution across the span, but unless your hanging like 30 of them you should be fine. I've hung 12 575's from a 2-point 40ft 12by and had a rigger approve it. There was some deflection but it was within spec. Just have someone else crank it up.....;)

ive talked to a few ppl and they are all saying you dont want to do more then 16 feet which would be 2 sticks of 8 ft truss and a max of 6 250s.. what type of crank stands would u suggest?

I'm sorry, I incorrectly assumed an L-16 was an industrial material lift. If you're going to rig actual 12" truss, use Genie Super Towers, or a similar material lift. I actually use Sumner material lifts (2100 series) which a lot of RnR companies use in replacement of the genie supertowers.

The most important thing when considering maximum span of truss is the characteristics of said truss, not the lifts. However, that would only be if you were using industrial material lifts. Those L-16s are more like DJ crank lifts and I wouldn't use those to lift up 12" box truss. They look cheap to me. Also there are a few things to be aware of when using material lifts in entertainment applications....some riggers don't like them, you can be outside spec on the lifts when using them in this capacity, how to call multiple lifts up at the same time, etc.

I have a tour going up to Toronto in a few weeks (first weekend in October) and if you want you can stop by and see some Sumner 2124's in action with 12" truss, plus talk to the guys on-site who use them all the time. Like I said, there are some quirky things with material lifts it doesn't hurt to know some tricks ahead of time.

This is one of those situations that I am going to say that the OP is unqualified to do this and he/she should hire a professional. Odds are you are renting this gear, the rental house should be able to not only specify the gear you need but should be able to send someone out to get it setup. There is a lot of mis-information on this thread as it stands currently. After you learn how rigging components work in person along with proper operation there is no reason why you can not do this in the future. However, right now you are in the phase that you need to be taught by a qualified rigger.

As always with anything rigging related, IF IN DOUBT, HIRE A PROFESSIONAL.

If you can not write using capital letters, one should probably not be rigging things above people's heads that weigh enough to kill someone.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back