new to me tool

BillConnerFASTC

Visiting my son and he showed me a Dewalt gyroscopic driver. Maybe old news to many but my first look. No trigger or switch -it turns the direction you turn it and goes faster the further you turn it. Very cool.

I would hate this for working anywhere but horizontally, I can imagine trying to reach a hard spot and it just turning and turning and turning.

My son did not like it at first but got use to it and thinks it great now. A lot of service work on equipment. Then he drove a 3" deck screw to show me the power. Impressive for a small 8 volt tool.

Ive seen these but doubted that they'd be any good. Admitatley never gave one a "test drive" though (pun intended).
I do love my DeWalt 12v MAX driver though, and use it a LOT at work as an electrician from installing devices (receptacles, switches, etc) to panels (which I double check with a screwdriver like a good sparky). You know the stuff you'd use the gyroscopic driver for. Makes things go a lot quicker without carrying a heavy drill, which I still do use but only for the "bigger stuff" (and keep my impact for other things). That's right I bring 3 drills to work! lol

I honestly wouldn't mind doing a direct comparison between the two.

I know what you mean. I thought automatic transmissions, power steering, and power brakes were gimmicky too when introduced. I've gotten use to them however.

I don't truly see the advantage here, pardon me but it seems gimmicky. I'm happy with my Makita impact.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I think the driver being discussed here is better suited for building connectors and racks. I hope you don't build racks with your Impact driver, seems like a quick ya to strip those soft screws. Different tools for different jobs.

When this gyro stuff first came out under the Black & Decker label it seemed appropriate. Didn't expect to see it in DeWalt colors. Not sure yet if I like how Stanley has decided to expand the DeWalt label.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Reminded me of a powered rigging system I saw quite some time ago. The user wanted to pull a rope, so the system - hydraulic - was set up with a rope in the normal location above the lockrail, with a lock, and to run the set you pulled - more moved - the rope up or down. The further you moved it up, the faster it went in that direction. Was a while ago but maybe 12-18" of rope travel in either direction. Was very comfortable and quickly became intuitive.

I think the driver being discussed here is better suited for building connectors and racks. I hope you don't build racks with your Impact driver, seems like a quick ya to strip those soft screws. Different tools for different jobs.

When this gyro stuff first came out under the Black & Decker label it seemed appropriate. Didn't expect to see it in DeWalt colors. Not sure yet if I like how Stanley has decided to expand the DeWalt label.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Dewalt was putting out consumer grade stuff well before Stanley bought them. This driver falls right in that category, and like the rest of them probably isn't much better in quality than the black and decker stuff they're based off of.

I'm always amused when people who have never held or tried or even seen first hand a particular product pronounce it lame and useless. I guess the western tradition of scientific thought is in deed dying or maybe dead. As I said, my son was given one and has come to like it for the electrical trim work he does. Those thermostat wires on terminals or switch plates installed with a makita impact - well - what can I say - just be my guest. This seems like a great replacement for a yankee screwdriver, one of my favorite tools, of course I was well on my way when Makita's were introduced and drywall screws became popular in on stages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back