New to the booth / Cable climbers needed.

AppollSauce

Hello everyone,

I just joined CB today to ask a question about a product I am trying to research. I have stumbled upon this site on a few occasions while trying to find info for some random lighting product or another. So far the info I have found on this site has been very valuable and I hope to be able to contribute some helpful knowledge to help another struggling tech along the way.

Today I am trying to research something that my company uses to help guide cables up and down the chain of a motorized hoist. We refer to this product as a cable climber or a chain climber at my work. I have tried searching those terms on Google but most of the links that come up are related to mountain climbing and things of that nature.
Basically this product allows you to put a loop or hoop of some kind around the chain on the hoist which then attaches to a spot on the motor cable. As the hoist raises and lowers the truss the hoop helps guide the cable to keep it in close relation to the chain.

My company has manufactured some of these out of a hard plastic, and it is time that we need some more. I am wondering if there is already a product out there that we can purchase or at least reference for cost effectiveness. If so, what would that product be called if not a chain climber or cable climber. Below are some pictures of one of the ones we have manufactured. Any thoughts or info will be appreciated.
Cable Climber Pic 1.jpg Cable Climber Pic 3.jpg Cable Climber Pic 2.JPG

... If so, what would that product be called if not a chain climber or cable climber. ...
Chain runner or chain slider. Besides the Sapsis or TheLightSource products, see also Chain Runner - Home . I think most of the large touring lighting companies make their own also. PRG holds a patent on what looks to be a pretty slick design, but I've never seen one: http://www.google.com/patents/US20120042481 . They used to use a 2" long piece of pipe with a ring or flap welded to the side.

Last edited:
The PRG ones rock. I think they sell them, certainly worth calling about. I find the ARS/Light Source ones eat up too much trim height for small venues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back