newbie with lighting questions

hey i am new to this forum and have been advised to start a thread introducing myself and so on. I am a second year grad student at Louisiana Tech University emphasizing in design. I am in the process of trying to find a way to do two things for our upcoming production of Grapes of Wrath; 1-create a surface that looks like water, viewed like you were looking into an aquarium (section view) nothing cartoony or cheapy, and 2- create a campfire onstage, which needs to be portable. I am the Lighting Designer for the show so I am looking to create these effects using light (somehow) and would love to hear other thoughts. For the water I am thinking about creating a wall of material (muslin, frosted plastic or fluorescent light covers) and setting up lights behind it. For the fire I am thinking about using the cardboard mailing tubes as logs, applying a paint technique to them, and poking holes in them. Gel the holes and fill the tubes with light, either from string/rope lights or from one or two small lights in each end of the tube. Any suggestions/ info would be appreciated.
John

For a campfire, movement is a major visual element of the fire/light. Every campfire I've worked with has included either a rotating drum of gel with various colors, or a small fan and shreds of silk fabric that are blown up and move in the light from within the fire "pit". As needed, these have been battery powered, and controlled either manually by a switch (actors) or via wireless dmx.

I've also rented a cool water effect machine in the past, which gives that look of bent light that you see at the bottom of a swimming pool, but I think it's old technology now and it wasn't very bright.

hey thanks. i was actually going to attempt to stay away from the "silk/gel/other flames" look and go instead for the ambiance that the fire emits. this may work, it may not. as for renting the machine, i will look into it and see what i come across.
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back