Nomad/Gadget

Jay Ashworth

Before the pandemic, and it's associated supply-chain catastrophes, it used to be possible -- so I gather, anyway -- to get a combo deal from ETC on Nomad and the gadget, which was a pretty decent discount. When they ran out of gadgets to sell people, they dropped the price on Nomad, though I don't remember how they handled "Nomad will only talk to the Gadget".

I see that the Gadget is back in the channel now:

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/518267-etc-gadget-ii-portable-usb-to-5-pin-xlr-interface

Anyone hear if they have any plans to realign the pricing on the relevant items? Or can you use Nomad to talk to other interfaces these days and I'd missed it?

I believe as long as you have the licensing that comes with the student package, you can output on any art-net/sACN interface as well as the gadget. If I get time I'll pull out an art-net node and verify later. They are shipping the gadget with the student package again as far as I know... I bought one as soon as they announced it and received it a few months later once they actually started making the "new" gadget.

P.S. If you are playing along at home, feel free to take a shot every time I say "gadget".

Well, it was the student package I was looking into; I am still that for lighting; I'm mostly a sound guy at all three theatres I work at, two of them educational facilities. I'll look into the thing again, then; thanks.

I hadn't see an announcement; do you have a link to that?

Have a friend at our Theater that also has done some work with schools.. He used Nomad to arnet successfully. I was about to pull the trigger when the gadget disappeared, and then we upgraded to the many universes on our ion, so my Evil master plan of having Nomad on a booth computer as emergency backup went out the window. I was going to have one of our educators get the student/academic license. Now eventually will probably shell out the 1700 for the full, so we have some depth on the bench. I have had the experience at the smaller local barn of having a lightning strike take out 1 universe on the ETC 96 1 week before show. Frantic trouble shooting and jury rigging of lights and sound and a swap to the second universe made this a more than theoretical possibility for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back