Non-dim on Strand 200?

KittyR

Hi folks,

I need a non-dim circuit for an upcoming show in order to run a gobo rotator. The venue has an old Strand 200.

Does anyone know some Jedi mind tricks for setting this up? I can't seem to find anything in the manual regarding non-dims, and it doesn't look as if there are independents.

I'd rather have a solution that does NOT include holding down the Flash button while running the fader up or down, because a student will actually be running the show. That just begs for error and I don't want to ruin the gobo motor.

Thanks for your help,

Kitty

PS - the console does have proportional patching but I only see that as limiting the output, not specifying something like 100% at 1.

Non-dims on a console are usually limited to consoles that have an output profile feature. I don't believe the Strand 200 has profiles.

Some gobo rotators, such as Twin-Spins, are designed to work from dimmers.

A non-dim dimmer curve is better set at the dimmer rack. However, there are plenty of posts here that will tell you that running a piece of equipment designed to run at constant voltage from a dimmer set to non-dim is not the best practice.

I’m guessing if that’s what you have to do then it doesn’t accept dmx. If that’s the case it’s old and you could prolly get away with throwing it in a dimmer.

If it takes dmx then there is no need to run power back to the booth. The closes outlet will do.

I agree with Mac. I know a couple of Strand consoles fairly well and they don't have non-dim settings. Strand puts that setting in the rack, where it is less likely to cause a disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back