noob to the forums, need advice for this weekends gig

So i have a question regarding hook up capabilities. I have a wide range of equipment, from older to newer. Basically, i want to know if i can take a mixer amp, a separate amp and separate mixer and hook the two together. Just for some info, equipment i want to hook up is two 12 in. peavey blackwidows with horns, (used to be 150 rms, changed both to 250 rms) an 18 inch eminence sub with the metal cone ;) in custom enclosure and two cerwin vega cabinets, 12inch with horn as well, but these are for mid to low where as the peaveys are for mid to highs and obviously the eminence as a sub. The mixer amp is a peavey xr 600c, the amp is a crown k2, and the mixer is an Allen & Heath mix wizard 14 channel 4 buses. Oh, and its for djing..im sure the peaveys would suffice, because i have used them before by themselves, but im looking for the cerwins to help a little more with the punch. sorry if this was a ramble and hard to comprehend, but any input or output:lol: would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Use the A&H as your main mixer and use the group outs to connect to each amp, or just use a y splitter.

You might need a crossover but I don't have much experience with crossovers.

Is there a specific reason you want to use a mixer, mixer/amp and amp? The mixer/amp seems unnecessary for most applications.

It does sound like a crossover is appropriate. I'm not sure how you plan to crossover from the subs to the mains without one. I'm also not sure how you plan to make one 12" two-way speaker for low/mids and another for mid/highs without additional processing.

Without knowing more about the situation it does sound a bit like using less (transporting less, setting up less, etc.) but using it smarter might be a more effective approach than throwing more gear at it. For example, unless you need more coverage, a one-third octave equalizer might help get the 'punch' you want and have other benefits while avoiding dealing with additional speakers, especially when they would be two different speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back