not serious rigging but related

BillConnerFASTC

road trip - saw this somewhere near Mississippi River on I-94 today. Would liket see the nicopress tool for this. :)

cable reel.jpg

Looked like 4 to 5" but reel says 3 3/4 - not sure that is diameter of the wire rope.

road trip - saw this somewhere near Mississippi River on I-94 today. I would like to see the nicopress tool for this. :)

View attachment 14558
Looked like 4 to 5" but reel says 3 3/4 - not sure that is diameter of the wire rope.
I did an installation in Thunder Bay once and needed a few additional shackles. Didn't like the quality of Home Depot so we found our way to supplier who dealt with the shipping industry. When we told him what we were looking for, he told us to meet him in his warehouse and he'd try and find something small enough for us. We walked through a warehouse stocked with shackles that shipped one or two to a pallet. Cables and fittings used to dock lake and ocean going freighters are a different world than we see in theatres.
Once upon a time in my Stratford days, a designer wanted some bigger chain for a 'draw bridge across a moat' piece of scenery to be flown as a change-over item in the Avon proscenium space. The designer asked the TD what he had available in 'big' chain. The moral of this tale is: "Big" is a relative term and I've never forgotten how to measure chain since.
The TD asked the designer how big and the designer held his fingers apart about 4" and indicated links approximately 4" in length. He was also thinking something in lightweight plastic or nylon. We had a Dominion Chain plant in Stratford and the TD had a contact. Dominion Chain was called and asked what they had in stock in "big chain". The contact asked how big? The TD answered "Oh maybe 4". The contact advised 4" was a little bigger than they dealt with in Stratford and asked how much / how long? The TD suggested approximately 100'. This was in the days before computers and the internet. The contact advised he had a truck coming up from Toronto that afternoon and he MAY be able to get 100' of 4" on it. As luck would have it, the stars fell into alignment and Dominion Chain Toronto managed to put 100' of 4" chain on the truck to Stratford. When it arrived at the Stratford plant, the contact left it on the truck and sent it over to the Festival's main stage where they assumed it was wanted. A lengthy transport wound its way into the Festival's tiny parking lot and the Festival's Master Carpenter was summoned. In the trailer was a double-length fork lift pallet fitted with a very sturdy box approximately 4' high with 100' of 4" galvanized chain cresting over the top of the 4' deep box.
Chain is measured by the diameter of the wire from which the links are forged.
From memory, one link of 4" chain was between 1-1/2 and 2 feet long and would have made an anchor for the boats of most people I know. There were two spreaders forged within each link to maintain its shape under load. (Whatever its SWL may have been.)
The fly lines at the Avon definitely weren't going to deal with this as a change-over item.
Having no way to even get the double skid box off the transport the Festival agreed to pay the return shipping and restocking fees to return the chain to Toronto.
I've NEVER forgotten how to measure chain.
@BillConnerFASTC I wouldn't want to have to carry the Nico test gauge for your cable.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

That looks like haul rope... though it might even be too big for that. Always wanted to watch someone terminate that into a continuous loop.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That looks like haul rope... though it might even be too big for that. Always wanted to watch someone terminate that into a continuous loop.

The folks maintaining the loops for SanFransisco's cable cars were quite impressive. They'd chop a loop as soon as it went out of service and use a short splice to haul a replacement cable all the way through the system then go like stink to use a long splice to connect the two ends back into a loop. I was totally fascinated by various aspects of technology employed by their underground cable systems, especially how two loops crossed each other at intersections along with how they compensated for changes in cable lengths due to temperature changes over the course of a 24 hour period. I purchased several books from their museum in the car barn then stupidly loaned the best one to a nefarious person who never returned it. Great stuff! Much to be learned / remembered / employed later in life.
BTW; My new UPS just earned its keep.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Well, despite the triple redundant strap-down, those are the kind of trucks I like to stay R E A L far away from! We are human and we do make mistakes!
Can you say "squished like a bug?"

Bringing the pain, right here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back