Odd yellow gunk on handles of S4s?

That is almost without a doubt overspray from a coating being sprayed nearby, often times covered in backed insulation to keep heat in or out.

There is no rust on the clamp to indicate it was every or currently damp enough to support life, the uneven thickness of the contaminent suggests a spray angle which coated the threads and protruding angles more than other parts of the clamp.

While urethane foams are generally fire RETARDENT they do put off some rather nasty gasses (specifically phosgene) which are incredibly toxic, not just your mercury is toxic variety either, phosgene has been known to kill.

I would take all offending fixtures down and clean them up, especially anything that needs to move like bolts that may be covered in the stuff.

Actually, I see this all the time on the S4 PARs that we use as work lights in the theatre. In fact if you look at my work lights the back fo the fixtures are covered with it. As I am located in Utah, the second driest state in the country (even the water is dry) it seems highly unlikely to be mold. The conclusion that I came to is that this build up is ash/dust. Since you are using the fixtures in essentially the same manner as I am (rehearsal/work light) they are on for extended periods of time and get pretty darn hot!

I would imagine that since you are at a school that you probably do a bunch of your construction on stage so you probably kick up plenty of dust. We do the same here.

Another reason why this is certainly not mold is because every time you turn that light on for any length of time, the heat generated would kill it.

Therefore, I would not worry to much about it aside from periodically cleaning your fixtures so they don't actaully start a fire.
Well, this is the first year where we've actually got a theatre class that's actually allowed IN the theatre. (And the place has been here since '09. Administration here really fraking sucks.) And we have yet to do any construction. Not to mention, we have a scene shop.

I went on the catwalks today to take a second look at it. Another tech and I collected a few samples. It's squishy, and very light. Next week, if I get time, I'll run the samples by a chem teacher and see what he has to say.

Sounds like Great Stuff.

proxy.php

Well, this is the first year where we've actually got a theatre class that's actually allowed IN the theatre. (And the place has been here since '09. Administration here really fraking sucks.) And we have yet to do any construction. Not to mention, we have a scene shop.

I went on the catwalks today to take a second look at it. Another tech and I collected a few samples. It's squishy, and very light. Next week, if I get time, I'll run the samples by a chem teacher and see what he has to say.

Still sounds like a decent excuse to get time on the mass spectrometer. Pro-Tip: If its mostly the big 5 (Carbon, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Sulfur, and whatever the 5th is)(or are there 6? I can never remember), you might want to use gloves next time you touch it.

Edit: #5 is Phosphorus (is that spelled right?)

Last edited:
Still sounds like a decent excuse to get time on the mass spectrometer. Pro-Tip: If its mostly the big 5 (Carbon, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Surfer, and whatever the 5th is)(or are there 6? I can never remember), you might want to use gloves next time you touch it.

Edit: #5 is Phosphorous (is that spelled right?)

I don't think a surfer would be part of the "big 5". I believe you mean Sulfur? And, Phosphorus is spelt P H O S P H O R U S.

I don't think a surfer would be part of the "big 5". I believe you mean Sulfur? And, Phosphorus is spelt P H O S P H O R U S.

Thank you. I do indeed and have issues using spell check.

If it is made of surfer, you definitely want to wear gloves, and you have bigger problems on your hands.

:)

At least its not part of the cast of Jersey Shore or something.

Thank you. I do indeed and have issues using spell check.

At least its not part of the cast of Jersey Shore or something.

I lol'd hard

ETC has seen deposits on Source 4 fixtures, generally on the yoke and c-clamp, like those you’re discussing in this thread. It seems to occur most often when fixtures are:
• Lamped at high wattage
• On for long periods of time, such as in worklight applications
• Pointed straight down
• Used with saturated dichroic filters that reflect heat back into the fixture

The white substance comes from the polyester-based powder coating on our fixtures. We have had this material analyzed by two different third-party labs. Both labs have reached the same conclusion: that in the very low concentrations produced in this situation, the material is not harmful or dangerous and should simply be cleaned by allowing the fixture to cool then wiping it with a dry shop rag or other suitable cloth.

Tom Littrell
ETC Fixtures Product Manager

In high school, we had some "leaking lekos". Actually, I believe it was just the residue from whatever lubricant they would use in the SL yoke cradle at the factory. There wasn't any dripping or anything, just oily looking areas around the center of the fixture body.

ETC has seen deposits on Source 4 fixtures, generally on the yoke and c-clamp, like those you’re discussing in this thread. It seems to occur most often when fixtures are:
• Lamped at high wattage
• Pointed straight down

The white substance comes from the polyester-based powder coating on our fixtures. We have had this material analyzed by two different third-party labs. Both labs have reached the same conclusion: that in the very low concentrations produced in this situation, the material is not harmful or dangerous and should simply be cleaned by allowing the fixture to cool then wiping it with a dry shop rag or other suitable cloth.

Tom Littrell

Yes, but what IS it ?

Well, I finally got a chance to pay a visit to one of our chemistry teachers, and he agrees with Mr. Littrell that it's very unlikely to be harmful. Still have no idea what it is, but it's not harmful, and that's all I really cared about.

• Lamped at high wattage
• Pointed straight down

Tom Littrell

My welding class just has me very worried about white substances produced when something is exposed to high heat. Im sure the labs are accurate tho. I am, however, curious what the material ends up being...

My welding class just has me very worried about white substances produced when something is exposed to high heat. Im sure the labs are accurate tho. I am, however, curious what the material ends up being...

Trade secret.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back