The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Old time camera flash

Discussion in 'Special Effects' started by Shoottv, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Shoottv

Shoottv Member

I am looking for ideas or commercial solutions for an old time camera flash and smoke effect like a magnesium photo flash tray from the 1800's. I haven't had a pyro licence for many years so 2 componant flash powder is out (and don't want to pay the $200 for a new one) . This is for a high school production. My distict safety officer is still maintains an active fire marshal commission so I have some flexivility with the AHJ if needed.

RonHebbard likes this.
  2. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member

Theatre Consultant
    I'd consider old style flash bulbs - available even on Amazon - and the find some non-toxic powdery substance and use a bulb and tube to "blast" a little dust into the air at same time you (or actor) triggers flash. Seems like it could be integrated/attached to a prop camera.

RonHebbard and Amiers like this.
  3. JChenault

JChenault Well-Known Member

Many years ago I saw this trick. Not sure if it would be considered a safety issue today.

Take a flash bulb ( old style. Like this ) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CJPUBIU/?tag=controlbooth-20

Coat it in a clear varnish. While wet, roll the bulb in black gunpowder. A small amount of the granules will stick to the bulb.

When the bulb fires, it will ignite the small amount of gunpowder giving a blast of smoke.

Build your flash holder into a decorative trough and fire away.

RonHebbard likes this.
  4. Amiers

Amiers Lighting Phoenix 1 Lamp at a Time

Last we used flash bulbs we used them for the poto graveyard scene they worked pretty well.

RonHebbard likes this.