Optosplitter Project

I know its sloppy, and obviously not UL listed :p but I have gutted a wall wart, and placed it inside an an enclosure, so I could use a regular edison power cable. I needed 120v ac and 12vdc, so it made sense to eliminate plugging 2 things in. This was for personal home theater project, but it does clean up the look and ease of use.
I've done this before too, fairly successfully. I have had one or two decide to overheat and fail, though. Still way cheaper and easier than building up a PS from scratch.

Project looks great. I like the look of the enclosure. It looks better than most of the cheap splitters on the market. It's been a while since my circuit design classes so I'll pass on commenting on the circuit or PCB design. The biggest critique for me would be the use of the 1/4" TS connector for power. That's just not a very good design. Anything that would possibly short your power supply is not a good idea.
Thank you! However, the Schottkey diode on the input ensures the supply does not short, or supply reverse-voltage to the 7805.

No, the schottky diode doesn't help with that. TS plugs, by their construction, can short when they are inserted or removed.
/mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back