Conventional Fixtures Over-rigging (overhanging) lights?

Soundguy

Greetings, crew. Does anyone have any experience using half-couplers to rig a light over a bar? I have a difficult lighting position and need to mount the profile directly over a lighting bar, but it's a Selecon 5-13 tube, and weighs almost 40 pounds. Makes me a little uncomfortable. It certainly wouldn't fall with the safety chain, but might roll around the bar. The bar is structurally fixed, not hung.

If not a half-coupler, what other method of over-rigging (if any) have people used?

I'm assuming that you are talking about what we often call an "overhang" or "rooster." That is, hanging the light above the pipe rather than below. I've usually just used the C-clamps that come with the light but the half-coupler that you are proposing looks like a better solution. If you are worried about the coupler gripping the pipe put a wrap of gaff tape on the pipe to increase friction. Hang the light with care so it is nice and balanced. If you're still uncomfortable, add a 2nd safety cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hadn't thought of that in the other thread. Overhanging/roostering is a situation where there is a clear advantage of using US clamps over the UK clamps. I'm also still suspicious of those UK clamps when mounting to a vertical pipe.

Thanks, guys. Always wondered what a "rooster" was...

I did actually try to overhang the profile yesterday, but it's so darned heavy that it's impossible to tighten the bolt onto the bar sufficiently without me thinking I'm about to damage it. I'll try the half-coupler option; seems like much more surface area to grip the pipe and prevent rotation of the fixture.

Perfectly safe; I actually do have two safety's on it already (lamp house and lens tube separately), but only concerned that rotation of the fixture around the bar would make the application useless. Thanks for your feedback!

My favorite when it comes to hanging/rigging fixtures and also other equipment in all (im-)possible positions is the Manfrotto Superclamp.
21SFJQJZW1L.jpg
http://www.manfrotto.us/super-clamp-without-stud
This piece of equipment has saved us a lot of times. Maybe it is a possible solution for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back