Painting MDF

Reynolds

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a lower budget production of Little Shop, and instead of using plywood or luan flats as the walls, we are building a frame out of 1x4s, and attaching MDF to the frame to make walls.

We have to paint both sides of the MDF, and I was wondering if anyone can lend a few tips on painting the bottom side. We were planning on getting a sealer or primer before we paint; are we on the right track? If we are, are there special sealants or primers we should use?

Thanks,
Reynolds

Anything will work ok. MDF sucks up a ton of paint so picking something relatively affordable will work to your advantage.

If the flats aren't really going to see changes in humidity or get wet you may not need to paint both sides if they arent showing.

Due to space limitations, the walls are mounted on a wagon and we rotate to go from shop to street, so both sides do need to be painted.

Thanks for your help.

Reynolds

I'm not sure why the bottom would be different from the top; on the MDF I use, both sides are the same.
If it's sucking up too much paint though, the cheapest way you can seal it is by brushing on a wood-glue and water mixture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back