Panasonic HC-X1000 To SDI

DakotaAtV

Hey there, first post!
I've been trying to build up a news program at my high school, and we're having some issues with our Panasonic HC-X1000s. We have two of them, and two HDMI to SDI converters, and neither are working with the converters. I don't know what could be the issue, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hey there, first post!
I've been trying to build up a news program at my high school, and we're having some issues with our Panasonic HC-X1000s. We have two of them, and two HDMI to SDI converters, and neither are working with the converters. I don't know what could be the issue, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Welcome to CB! I am moving this to the Projection Forum so it is posted in the appropriate place. Hopefully it will get better traction there.

What kind of cables and converters are you using? If your HDMI cables are ARC, they could be in the wring direction (just switch the cables around to test).

~Dave

What HDMI/SDI converters are you using? Are you using the converter at the camera or attempting to run long HDMI? Do the cameras feed a hardware switcher (not OBS or vMix)? Which one? If software switcher, what product(s) used to get the SDI into the computer?

Finally - and this should have been my first question - what, exactly, is not working?

I'm not sure exactly which converters I have. I'm working in a high school studio that I can't visit as often as I'd like. I have an HDMI cable plugged into the converter, and it worked for a couple seconds at one point. That's unfortunately about all I know for now. I've been trying to piece together a working program from what's available.

ARC capable HDMI cables are bidirectional. Any cable that is version 1.3 or newer meets the specs to be ARC capable. Then there are amplified cables for long runs. Those are generally one-way cables. They keep adding new HDMI standards for 4K, 8K, IP connections, etc, so the cable specifications keep going up along with cost, cable thickness, and distance limitations.

I would compare the specs of the HDMI cable and the SDI converter against the output settings of the camera. If the resolution or sync rate of the camera output exceeds what the converter or HDMI cable can handle, then system won't work. Pushing 4K into 1080 converter won't fly, nor will 4K pass through an underrated HDMI cable. Set the resolution and sync rate of the camera output to match what all of the downstream equipment can handle. Try 1080i at 30 Hz to start with, and then go up from there until it crashes.

ARC capable HDMI cables are bidirectional. Any cable that is version 1.3 or newer meets the specs to be ARC capable. Then there are amplified cables for long runs. Those are generally one-way cables. They keep adding new HDMI standards for 4K, 8K, IP connections, etc, so the cable specifications keep going up along with cost, cable thickness, and distance limitations.

I would compare the specs of the HDMI cable and the SDI converter against the output settings of the camera. If the resolution or sync rate of the camera output exceeds what the converter or HDMI cable can handle, then system won't work. Pushing 4K into 1080 converter won't fly, nor will 4K pass through an underrated HDMI cable. Set the resolution and sync rate of the camera output to match what all of the downstream equipment can handle. Try 1080i at 30 Hz to start with, and then go up from there until it crashes.
Thank you for the advice! I'll check out what I can do. Also, it's running through some ports in the walk that are patched to a TriCaster, if that makes aby difference.

Oh my god, you're a life saver. I tried that out and the cameras now work. Thank you so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back