PC Configuration for all Multiplay channels

I am trying to figure out what hardware I need to get in order to take advantage of Multiplay's ability to output to more than just 1 stereo channel. I'm running Multiplay on an older computer with Win XP installed. What I would like is somone in a similar situation to tell me what they are using to send sound out to multiple stereo channels. I've read through a bunch of the threads I've found in these forums, but most of them seem to be theoretical discussions, and I want to know for sure what is working for someone before I purchase anything.
thanks.

You'll need another audio interface, they come in all sizes from 2-in 2-out upwards, and cost $30 to $whatever-you-want-to-pay.

In your case, I think you could get away with something like the UCA202 (I have at least 3 of them now), it gives you dual RCA ins and outs. If you need more channels, there are many more products in the same vein.

I'd have to take a look at the Multiplay UI again (haven't for ages), but you should be able to patch software outputs to certain physical devices, along with configuring the individual channels.

You'll need another audio interface, they come in all sizes from 2-in 2-out upwards, and cost $30 to $whatever-you-want-to-pay.

In your case, I think you could get away with something like the UCA202 (I have at least 3 of them now), it gives you dual RCA ins and outs. If you need more channels, there are many more products in the same vein.

I'd have to take a look at the Multiplay UI again (haven't for ages), but you should be able to patch software outputs to certain physical devices, along with configuring the individual channels.

Thanks for the thoughts. I know that I need another audio interface. They come in all shapes and sizes. I'm hoping to find out what someone else is actually using, not something that I think will work. I'm operating on a small budget and really can't afford to buy something and then find out it doesn't do what I was hoping it would do. I hooked up a presonus device that I was told would work, but the computer refused to see it as seperate stereo channels which is how Multiplay needs to have it.

I use M-Audio Fast Track Ulta 8 in and 8 out. And i have it set up as 1 stereo in and 2 stero out and sometimes 3 stereo out.

I use M-Audio Fast Track Ulta 8 in and 8 out. And i have it set up as 1 stereo in and 2 stero out and sometimes 3 stereo out.

That sounds like exactly what I need. A couple of questions:
Do you use this with Multiplay?
What OS are you using on the computer you run sound through? (I just want to make sure that the dinosaur our school has given us is up to the task.)
Thanks!

It running on a PC with XP and I am using SCS and window media player and it runs great with them.

Last edited:
One of the theatres I work at has an old dell (running XP) with an aftermarket sound card that has 6 channels all 3.5mm jacks. I forget what the actual model of the card is but If you google sound cards for the model of computer you have you should be able to find one. I prefer to use an external audio interface (with QLab) but the sound card thing works pretty well.

Thanks for the thoughts. I know that I need another audio interface. They come in all shapes and sizes. I'm hoping to find out what someone else is actually using, not something that I think will work. I'm operating on a small budget and really can't afford to buy something and then find out it doesn't do what I was hoping it would do.
How many channels do you want? What do you consider a small budget? The more specific the information provided, the more specific the responses can be.

I hooked up a presonus device that I was told would work, but the computer refused to see it as seperate stereo channels which is how Multiplay needs to have it.
You did not say which PreSonus device you tried but I just plugged in my EASERA Gateway, which is a modified PreSonus FireBox, started MultiPlay and when I go to "Audio Patches" in "Production Properties" and click on the device selection area I see the computer's internal sound card as well as "EASERA GATEWAY Out 1/2", "EASERA GATEWAY Out 3/4" and "EASERA GATEWAY Out 5/6" as options, so it apparently works with some PreSonus devices. Have you made sure that you have the PreSonus drivers loaded and that the computer recognizes the device?

How many channels do you want? What do you consider a small budget? The more specific the information provided, the more specific the responses can be.

I want a minimum of 3 stereo Channels, but 4 would be better. I didn't specify because my question wasn't what would someone suggest I use, rather my question was, what is someone actually using along with Multiplay.

Budget, I'm looking at $300-$400, but cheaper would be better if possible. The more I spend on this the more I have to take away from another area.

You did not say which PreSonus device you tried but I just plugged in my EASERA Gateway, which is a modified PreSonus FireBox, started MultiPlay and when I go to "Audio Patches" in "Production Properties" and click on the device selection area I see the computer's internal sound card as well as "EASERA GATEWAY Out 1/2", "EASERA GATEWAY Out 3/4" and "EASERA GATEWAY Out 5/6" as options, so it apparently works with some PreSonus devices. Have you made sure that you have the PreSonus drivers loaded and that the computer recognizes the device?

I don't know what the device was. A student brought his in for me to test, and has since taken it back with them. I had all the drivers properly installed. The computer saw the device fine. Multiplay, on the other hand, didn't see the device properly. I tried everything I could think of to get it to work, but couldn't. This is what prompted me to ask what someone is currently using. I figured that if someone else is actually using it in a set up similar to what I want/have, then it will work for me as well. In theory of course.

I am currently using a M-Audio Firewire 410 which has like 2in 10* out. (* only 2 if you have a Digital Spidif in on your console)

I use it with multiplay though since we just acquired it i haven't done much with pushing through audio on more then just stereo channels yet.

Used on EBay it's a fairly good budget conscious purchase i would think. Though i'm in the process of ordering a Focusrite Sappire Pro40 here in the next month, that we can rack mount, and utilize the XLR on the LS9 a little better.

I'm not Terribly happy with the M-audio's Dig Spidif. My computer/console/interface gets confused some times and "unlocks it self from the Time Clock. Buts it's been working well since i think i solved that issue.

I don't know what the device was. A student brought his in for me to test, and has since taken it back with them. I had all the drivers properly installed. The computer saw the device fine. Multiplay, on the other hand, didn't see the device properly. I tried everything I could think of to get it to work, but couldn't. This is what prompted me to ask what someone is currently using. I figured that if someone else is actually using it in a set up similar to what I want/have, then it will work for me as well. In theory of course.
Did MultiPlay not see the device outputs as an available option or was it available in MultiPlay but didn't seem to then work?

As you initially referenced, there is an FAQ on the MultiPlay web site that notes "MultiPlay currently only supports one or more stereo outputs. Sound cards with more than two output channels may work, but only if the software driver presents the channels as one or more stereo pairs.". Since my test with a Gateway/FireBox connected to a PC running Windows XP and the latest version of MultiPlay seemed to work but a PreSonus device, all of which seem to address the outputs in stereo pairs in their software, did not work with MultiPlay running under XP for you seems to suggest that the issue may be hardware, software or driver version specific.

As far as alternative products, are there limitations or preferences in terms of FireWire/USB 2.0/USB 3.0 or rack mount versus portable?

Did MultiPlay not see the device outputs as an available option or was it available in MultiPlay but didn't seem to then work?

As you initially referenced, there is an FAQ on the MultiPlay web site that notes "MultiPlay currently only supports one or more stereo outputs. Sound cards with more than two output channels may work, but only if the software driver presents the channels as one or more stereo pairs.". Since my test with a Gateway/FireBox connected to a PC running Windows XP and the latest version of MultiPlay seemed to work but a PreSonus device, all of which seem to address the outputs in stereo pairs in their software, did not work with MultiPlay running under XP for you seems to suggest that the issue may be hardware, software or driver version specific.

As far as alternative products, are there limitations or preferences in terms of FireWire/USB 2.0/USB 3.0 or rack mount versus portable?

Multiplay didn't see the Prosonus device as seperate stereo channels. It only saw it as one stereo channel. I agree that is sounds like a driver issue. I had the most up to day driver available.

The computer has Firewire and USB 2. It doesn't really matter whether it's rack mounted or portable. There is a rack with space easily available, but it appears that in general, rack mounted are more expensive.

...... i'm in the process of ordering a Focusrite Sappire Pro40 here in the next month, that we can rack mount, and utilize the XLR on the LS9 a little better.

We use adapter cables from 1/8" TRS and dual RCA stereo devices into the XLRs with no problems at all (just make sure you don't accidentally turn on phantom power on those channels). However I intend to get an A-D card for the playback sources so I can keep the XLRs patched to the stage at all times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back