PC-controlled DMX software & hardware suggestions

bkstg76

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive PC-based DMX lighting controller for the theatre where I serve as technical director. We currently are using an ETC Express for conventionals and a Nicolaudie SLESA-U5 Easy Stand Alone unit with the Easy Stand Alone software for 2 moving lights and a smattering of LED units.

I'd like to find a PC-based program (and hardware) that does conventionals well (the SLESA does not) as well as all of the chases and effects for the intelligents (which the Express does not do well.)

Here are some more details:
- 96 conventional dimmers in the main space (we have a second area that works like a small nightclub for musicians & small plays with 12 dimmers)
- I would prefer stand alone capability and 2 universes (one for shows, one for the DMX-controlled architectural fixtures we are beginning to install)
- Ease of use and programming would be a plus as I only have one other tech who knows his way around a lightboard - being an all volunteer facility it would be nice to get the newbies up to speed quickly

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Look for something that has dmx in. That way, you can take your hardware controller and use it to control your conventionals. Chamsys is very popular now. I've never used it, tho. Hog PC, Martin M series and LightJockey, MA, all make high quality products, but $$. The choices are pretty broad these days.

I'm currently running Chamsys PC, and it's great! The software is free, the only thing you have to buy (outside a computer) is a DMX interface.

Chamsys controls conventionals, moving heads, media servers (can interface to ScreenMonkey via ArtNet or MIDI), lets you build your own chases.

We bought an ENTTEC OpenDMX interface for $70 three years ago. It is no longer supported by the software, so I'm stuck on an old version of the software until we can afford to get a new interface. The wings for Chamsys are expensive (cheapest I've been able to find is at about $1000), but they'll have DMX out, unlock all the features of the software (remote access from phone and other computers, multiple universes, ArtNet), and physical faders for when you need them. I'm not sure if the PC Wing has DMX in, but they've got a lot of different things on their website that will activate all the features.

Last edited:
You might want to check our product ( Gam Plexus). It has proven to be an extremely user friendly software system. My current rig consists of 136 dimmers, 2 movers, scrollers, and 12 RGBAW PAR units.

It supports up to four universes, and sounds like it would be a good fit for your space.
You can download a fully working version from the GAM website. GAM PLEXUS©. Take a look and see if it fits your needs.

Feel free to send me a PM with any questions.

Last edited:
The Enttec Open will not support the two universes you are wanting. You will need something like the new Enttec Pro Mk2 or the DMX King USBUltra Pro that support 2 universes.
Both of those interfaces are supported by our software Cue Player Lighting. It, too, is available for as a full working version for 30 days.

You may PM me with any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back