PC Software VS. Lighting Controller

Are there cons when going the pc route when dealing with theatrical shows? What PC software gives the best bang for your buck as well?

Thanks for any help. My local school district is looking to replace their very old ETC light board and price is def. an issue.

-Jason

The biggest argument I would make about going the PC route is reliability. It makes me nervous to run software on something that commonly can lock up or crash depending upon the performance of your machine. That being said, all the new ETC light boards are also software running on top of windows, but it just makes me a bit less nervous in that regards.

Speaking as one who believes in PC solutions ( and developed one )

The primary downside is lack of sliders. This creates issues if you need to busk a show. If you are doing a fixed cue list not so much of an issue. There are partial solutions to this.

If you go the PC route, it is vital you dedicate the machine to running lights. Remove any browser and games. Turn off virus scans, don't leave it connected to the internet, etc.

Take a Look at our product. Gam Plexus

If money is an issue I have seen a bunch of used Ions on Solaris and other reseller sites. Also unless I stripped every piece of unneeded bloatware on a windows machine, ripped out anything that would allow a user to get to the internet and make sure no one could add a program, I would never use a PC for a show. Wait, not even then. But that's me. There are some good dealers in upstate NY that could help you find out a good replacement, where are you located?

There are good quality PCs I would trust to run a show. I run a data centre on some pretty solid industrial blades with a variety of OS's including Windows. The uptime on one of our SQL Server machines is closing in on 6 years. It all comes down to keeping the system pristine and knowing exactly what you are installing. It's a little too convenient to load everything but the kitchen sink app on a PC.

I too, am a believer in the viability of a PC as a lighting controller. As JChenualt says, the drawback is the lack of sliders. But for a fixed cue based show, that is no issue. We've run on a PC for years at Blackfriars and never had a Windows crash or issue. To be sure, I keep the PC up-to-date and don't use anything else on it. How Upstate are you? If you're near Rochester, stop on by.

I am currently building a complete hog4pc system. I just purchased a nano hog and am about to buy a Microsoft surface pro, touchscreen, and other peripherals. The entire system will fit into a pelican case. All told it cost me $5500, $5k less than a road hog with all the capabilities. Biggest thing is to get reliable hardware and keep extraneous software off your computer. I chose the Microsoft surface since it's all solid state and has its own battery so I don't need to carry a big UPS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If money is an issue I have seen a bunch of used Ions on Solaris and other reseller sites. Also unless I stripped every piece of unneeded bloatware on a windows machine, ripped out anything that would allow a user to get to the internet and make sure no one could add a program, I would never use a PC for a show. Wait, not even then. But that's me. There are some good dealers in upstate NY that could help you find out a good replacement, where are you located?
Most of the time I go through Syracuse Scenery, Stage, and Lighting

I too, am a believer in the viability of a PC as a lighting controller. As JChenualt says, the drawback is the lack of sliders. But for a fixed cue based show, that is no issue. We've run on a PC for years at Blackfriars and never had a Windows crash or issue. To be sure, I keep the PC up-to-date and don't use anything else on it. How Upstate are you? If you're near Rochester, stop on by.
I am in Syracuse, so actually not too far away.

I am currently building a complete hog4pc system. I just purchased a nano hog and am about to buy a Microsoft surface pro, touchscreen, and other peripherals. The entire system will fit into a pelican case. All told it cost me $5500, $5k less than a road hog with all the capabilities. Biggest thing is to get reliable hardware and keep extraneous software off your computer. I chose the Microsoft surface since it's all solid state and has its own battery so I don't need to carry a big UPS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was actually planning on using a pro for the system if that is the route I take.

Steve at SSSL is or at least used to be a big fan of PC based systems he can help with that. I understand the need for cost cutting but I am a firm believer in students learning on a "real" console. Talk to Dan at Applied Audio/Brighton Lights and see what they can do for you, they are an ETC dealer. Also look at your inbox.

One thing that scares me off general purpose hardware for specialized tasks in situations where funds are tight is the fact that its general purpose hardware. Today, it might just be the lighting console PC, next year when audio needs a cue playback system, its now the lighting and sound playback system, etc. A problem I've run into in my day job as a university system administrator all the time.

I was actually planning on using a pro for the system if that is the route I take.

I would be dubious about using a surface pro just because of screen size. All of the PC solutions I am aware of use the screen instead of a panel of sliders and buttons. The better ones make extensive use of screen real estate. I just think you will be happier programming with a full size display.

Also the surface keyboard is less than awesome. Very good for what it does, not as good as a 'real thick' keyboard.

The surface has plenty of horsepower and works great as a focus tool, but I would want more for my primary control.

I would be dubious about using a surface pro just because of screen size. All of the PC solutions I am aware of use the screen instead of a panel of sliders and buttons. The better ones make extensive use of screen real estate. I just think you will be happier programming with a full size display.

Also the surface keyboard is less than awesome. Very good for what it does, not as good as a 'real thick' keyboard.

The surface has plenty of horsepower and works great as a focus tool, but I would want more for my primary control.

Surface pro is just for the brain. I have a 22inch touchscreen (same as road hog) as the main screen and an keyboard that will all fit into the pelican. I could have used an all in one for the computer but it would not be an all solid state architecture and I would have to use a separate UPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there cons when going the pc route when dealing with theatrical shows? What PC software gives the best bang for your buck as well?

Thanks for any help. My local school district is looking to replace their very old ETC light board and price is def. an issue.

-Jason

Hi, I am still using Avolites Titan Mobile System on my own projects. There is a portable controller is connecting to PC with USB and this is perfect solution for mid size projects. If you have touch screen laptop, you can choice your fixtures, groups, cues etc. from your laptop screen. I have a Dell XFR rugged laptop and the two devices are very good partner.

If you want economic solution, the same software is working with a small USB-DMX device (also working as dongle for the software) the Avo Titan One is very very chip and you can use all the features with this device.

Good Luck!

There is the PC Congo, or the Cobalt Nomad. I have no experience with ether but just been window shopping. As i understand it wing panels will work with these giving you faders to work with.
I have used a Horizon PC interface with a wing panel for years, never have had a crash issue. but that solution is no longer available.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back