PC Software VS. Lighting Controller

Although I love ETC and they're just up the road a piece, I chose to go the PC route for my most recent purchase. I chose Chamsys and the PC wing so that students could download the free software, practice and write a show at home and bring it into the space on a flash drive.
With limited time in the space and needing to supervise students anytime they are there, this was a pragmatic decision, but I'm not regretting it. YMMV

Phil

Although I love ETC and they're just up the road a piece, I chose to go the PC route for my most recent purchase. I chose Chamsys and the PC wing so that students could download the free software, practice and write a show at home and bring it into the space on a flash drive.
With limited time in the space and needing to supervise students anytime they are there, this was a pragmatic decision, but I'm not regretting it. YMMV

Phil

Many manufacturers, ETC included, offer their software for free that anyone can download and use, then save to USB, and load into the console at the venue.

Speaking as one who believes in PC solutions ( and developed one )

The primary downside is lack of sliders. This creates issues if you need to busk a show. If you are doing a fixed cue list not so much of an issue. There are partial solutions to this.

If you go the PC route, it is vital you dedicate the machine to running lights. Remove any browser and games. Turn off virus scans, don't leave it connected to the internet, etc.

Take a Look at our product. Gam Plexus

I agree with most of this. I disagree with the dedicated machine bit. I've used 2 pc for running lighting over the years, and have also used them for surfing, games, etc. Neither one ever had an issue or conflict with my lighting software in the 10+ years I've been running it. Yes, pc can fail, and they can fail mid-show. But so can anything else. The only thing I do is shut off the screen saver.

Hi, I am still using Avolites Titan Mobile System on my own projects. There is a portable controller is connecting to PC with USB and this is perfect solution for mid size projects. If you have touch screen laptop, you can choice your fixtures, groups, cues etc. from your laptop screen. I have a Dell XFR rugged laptop and the two devices are very good partner.

If you want economic solution, the same software is working with a small USB-DMX device (also working as dongle for the software) the Avo Titan One is very very chip and you can use all the features with this device.

Good Luck!

What is the downfall of not having a DMX input? Also, if you have any more pros and cons on the titan one I would love to hear them.

I also would go the PC route. I used Horizon for 15 years on the same machine, until the computer died, and just switched to MagicQPC...in 20 years of using PC based control for approximately 250 performances per year, I've never had the PC lock up.

Hi,
Just got notified that there is about $2.5k that I can earmark for our black box space. Just bought the Chamsys PC Wing and running it on an older iMac. Am considering the purchase of a dedicated PC with a touchpad for the PC wing and a MacBook Pro or MacbookAir to run Qlab. The Mac side I'm fine with and will make the call, the PC I'm not so sure....

My first thought was that with a touch screen I could grab the faders and make quick on the spot adjustments as necessary. (we usually only do theatrical productions or VERY simple stuff in the black box). My research led me to understand that with Chamsys, the touchscreen is one touch at a time. Better than nothin', but not great.

My question, is it worth it to go to a touchscreen? if so, I'm assuming a large screen is preferred. Any suggested brands that people are using - the Chamsys site seems to recommend Euro stuff, not common around here. Lets assume my budget is around 1k giving me enough for my Mac purchase. Laptop or desktop with a larger screen?
The unit will be designated to this purpose and, as the teacher, I will put parental locks on as necessary to prevent the added mess.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks in advance,

Phil

Touchscreen definitely helps but is not necessary. I just finished doing a theatrical show with MagicDMX but was going to use a wing, etc but decided against it as it was starting to take up more space than the benefits it added and ended up running the show off of a non touch 2nd monitor and using the touch on my laptop to run sound cues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have also used the Horizon software... Rock solid stuff, I'm still trying to figure out the complexities of it though.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back