Conventional Fixtures Perhaps too boring an LED question

IndyBob

Hello All,

I am trying to replace around 30 BR40 300W 120V incandescent lamps that are in circa 1958 can fixtures about 20' to 25' up in a sanctuary. Even using 130V lamps, they still burn out and the labor cost to replace is quite high due to working on a slope, around pews, etc. I am trying to find an LED equivalent. Based upon Sylvania/Phillips info on BR40 incandescent lamps, I need about 2500 to 3000 lumens per lamp. I don't need to dim them, don't need fancy controls, but want something that will fit, and last. Unfortunately the fixtures are sealed, so ventilation may be an issue if the lamps don't have integral fans. Replacing the fixtures is not a financial option as they are mounted in an asbestos-laden ceiling. To date all I have found is the vividleds.us WD180 series, but they are pretty expensive and I don't know anything about the company. None of the PAR38 options seem to have enough lumens and my searches through the Internet and the forums here haven't given me other options.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

I've had good luck dealing with Silter's Supplies on LED lamp retrofits. Found this BR40 replacement on their site:
http://www.sitlersupplies.com/display.asp?id=1203
Give them a call and ask for Nancy; she can probably find the lumen spec for you. Other things to think about are the color temperature and beamspread you want/need. Mention that it will be in a sealed fixture as well.
Ultimately you will probably have to spend a little money on sample lamps to actually see how well they work in your situation.

Hello All,

I am trying to replace around 30 BR40 300W 120V incandescent lamps that are in circa 1958 can fixtures about 20' to 25' up in a sanctuary. Even using 130V lamps, they still burn out and the labor cost to replace is quite high due to working on a slope, around pews, etc. I am trying to find an LED equivalent. Based upon Sylvania/Phillips info on BR40 incandescent lamps, I need about 2500 to 3000 lumens per lamp. I don't need to dim them, don't need fancy controls, but want something that will fit, and last. Unfortunately the fixtures are sealed, so ventilation may be an issue if the lamps don't have integral fans. Replacing the fixtures is not a financial option as they are mounted in an asbestos-laden ceiling. To date all I have found is the vividleds.us WD180 series, but they are pretty expensive and I don't know anything about the company. None of the PAR38 options seem to have enough lumens and my searches through the Internet and the forums here haven't given me other options.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob
I would not be too worried about "rated lumens" when you get into 130 volt long life lamps, the numbers can be WAY off. You need to try some samples. Just got done a conversion this last year. The numbers didn't add up at all, but we all agree that the result was a much brighter sanctuary. More here- http://www.trinityambler.com/property/green.html
Stick with TCP as a brand. For some reason they work a whole lot better.

With regards to ventilation, what about using a porous diffuser instead of the fixture glass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back