Wireless PGX1

FunnyFellow

Sound Technician
My school wants to buy 1 pgx14/185 system, and would like to know if the pgx1 has a mute button inbuilt into the mic, or an on/off switch that doesn't reset the channels.

Last edited:
PGX has audio quality that's not to write home about, consider carefully before purchasing.

Once you IR sync the channel, it won't change. You have a combination mute / power switch, press and hold for power, quick press for mute / unmute. With the transmitter off, hold the power button for ~5 secs top turn on in lock mode.

You're in Aus correct? Please fidn out from your proposed retailer which frequency band they are proposing to sell you and lets us know. I believe the default import by Jands is P6 which falls within the proposed digital dividend and is likely to become illegal to use some time not long after the end of 2013...

What are you looking to use the mic for? I would highly recommend saving up and buying something a bit more robust. The PGX is garage band quality...not something you want in a school.

They are only using it for 1, maybe 2 times for simple announcements.

I have already looked through the manual online.

@Chris15 I do live in Australia, but i am not buying it through Jands. To be more precise on where I live I am in Adelaide and I don't think we have a "Jands" here. Just Allans Music, S.A.V. Systems and I cant think of the other place's name at this minute.

@Chris15 I do live in Australia, but i am not buying it through Jands. To be more precise on where I live I am in Adelaide and I don't think we have a "Jands" here. Just Allans Music, S.A.V. Systems and I cant think of the other place's name at this minute.

You're getting it from Jands... They are the only Shure importer in Aus. All of those retailers will be buying wholesale from Jands... My comment on frequency blocks remains. You need to get H6 or J6, P6 is an unwise investment.

With respect, if you've already looked through the manual, then you'd have answered your initial question by doing so...

If this is only being used for announcements, would not a handheld be more suitable?

the announcer wishes to walk around the sports field whith his hands free to shake hands and whatnot.

This, honestly, sounds like recipe for disaster...
I see the private comments to someone becoming broadcast. Expect big issues relating to feedback if the field is the coverage area.
The PGX really is not a great choice for this, you need something you can remotely mount the antennas for to get them somewhere that might cover the sort of area I'm envisaging for this...

Your cricket commentators don't use lapels to call the game, there is just not enough isolation from background to be useful...

I own two PGX systems, one has an SM58 mic and the other is just a normal body and lapel mic.

They worked without a hitch until the big switch with all the radio frequencies. I had the transmitter in my booth 150' from the stage in a 250 person room, but after the switch, I started getting random noise in the system so I moved the transmitter on to the stage so mic's only have about 20-40 feet to travel. So far no problems.

I own two PGX systems, one has an SM58 mic and the other is just a normal body and lapel mic.

They worked without a hitch until the big switch with all the radio frequencies. I had the transmitter in my booth 150' from the stage in a 250 person room, but after the switch, I started getting random noise in the system so I moved the transmitter on to the stage so mic's only have about 20-40 feet to travel. So far no problems.

Did you check to see if a TV station moved on top of your microphone? If so, you really should move your mic frequency to a clear channel...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back