Phantom of the Opera mask

Schniapereli

I recently noticed something that I hadn't really thought of before.

The phantom's mask in shows has always been that white mask covering half of the face (like what Michael Crawford wore. One eye and one cheek covered.). I have always seen shows use this mask.

But, the cover for the cd, and the poster and t-shirts and all the merchandise, all have the mask that covers the eyes and top of the face, but leaves the bottom of the face bare.

Anyone know why this is?

I don't know the true answer.... but here is my guess...

Cameron Makintosh produced the show. He is known for revitalizing how a show was advertised. All of his shows have an iconic show poster that will stick with the show forever. Cats, Miss Saigon, Les Mis (ever seen it advertised without the kid?), and Phantom are all examples of this. Odds are that the poster art was made way before a designer sketch was ever done of the phantom mask. After it was made, it stuck. It is possible the mask onstage started as a full top part mask but got changed during previews or way before that. Who knows. Good piece of theatre trivia though.

But... personal feeling.... the show was being sold way before it was ever designed.

I worked on most of the Phantom productions including the Broadway opening. It is my understanding that the image used for advertising was created before the phantom's mask was designed for the show by Maria Bjornson.

Also the source material for this musical (i.e Gaston Leroux book and the 5 oil paintings that went with it by André Castaigne) depicted a full upper half mask.
For the record, if you haven't read the book; you should.

Originally, the Phantom wore a full mask. In most early movies and books, his face was entirely disfigured and he wore a full mask. However, they realized once they began testing makeup that a full mask would limit expression and make singing hard and awkward. So they limited the disfiguration to one side, as well as the mask.

Unfortunately, by the time they realize this, they had already publicized the full mask logo, but they decided it was best to let it be instead of recalling it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back