Platform Deck Scabs

bobgaggle

I wanted to see if anyone else is doing this.

Anytime we build a platform (generally steel framing) larger than standard sheet sizes, 5' wide for example, we'll make the deck out of a 4' piece and a 1' piece, and scab them together on the underside with 3/4" ply, 8" wide by whatever the length needs to be. we glue and staple it together. They hold up great even with dancers jumping around. I had never seen this practice and in the other shops I've worked in we would usually adjust the framing so there is a seam catch.

Anyone else do this?

I always moved framing around a bit. The scabs work their way loose over time. I assume you glue and screw/staple these scabs. We also used to build all decks 1/2" short in every direction to allow maso to end cap and cover it.

I have to agree with footer that scabbing like that is not the strongest solution, mainly long term. Its easier to move framing (as Footer suggests), or cut the top pieces to meet at framing. Either approach works. Just make sure your framing gives you the desired strength.

Scabs may hold fine in the short term, but the seam is not nearly as strong as if it has framing under it (same with building a house).

Not everyone wants to meso decks, but I am a big fan of it. Much better surface, and if it prolongs the life of the deck.

We do this in the shop where I work - we call it a Wart, and ours are 10" wide as standard. Generally speaking, we churn out such a huge volume of scenery here that it's just not time-efficient for the draftsmen to adjust the framing. We also use various sizes of plywood (4x8, 4x10, 5x8, and 5x10 as standard), so warting makes it so that running out of the ideal size doesn't necessitate moving the framing. To my knowledge, we've never had issues with these failing, not counting than the wear-and tear that comes with repertory opera scenery that gets thrown around all the time.

We do this in the shop where I work - we call it a Wart, and ours are 10" wide as standard. Generally speaking, we churn out such a huge volume of scenery here that it's just not time-efficient for the draftsmen to adjust the framing. We also use various sizes of plywood (4x8, 4x10, 5x8, and 5x10 as standard), so warting makes it so that running out of the ideal size doesn't necessitate moving the framing. To my knowledge, we've never had issues with these failing, not counting than the wear-and tear that comes with repertory opera scenery that gets thrown around all the time.

In the shop where I work in the summer, if the draftsman forgets some framing to catch a seam as long as it doesn't impair any movement or support methods, we just add it in. I thought this was standard practice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back