The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Polyonyx use for stage floors

Discussion in 'Stage Management and Facility Operations' started by Andrew Johns, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Andrew Johns

Andrew Johns Member

Technical Director
    We are building a new facility and the architects have specified polyonyx for the main proscenium stage.

What are the pros and cons?

2. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member Premium Member

Theatre Consultant
    Its expensive, but maybe not your concern.

Lost of good things but my concern about these floor products is what happens if you spill/splash/drip paint on them and don't get it off before it dries? It may be fine but I'd worry that unlike hardboard, you may not want to just repaint entire floor. I would worry it becomes like a glossy maple stage floor -don't touch. But I could be all wrong and its fine. Texture could be a concern.

Please report.

3. Andrew Johns

Andrew Johns Member

Technical Director
    The covering is currently under review. The manufacturer says it can be painted and is an inherently non-slick surface that is also able to be screwed into. We will be using the stage for theatre as well as concerts (performing arts center for small university), so painting will happen as well as re-painting.

I am going to try for a sample to play with.

4. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member Premium Member

Theatre Consultant
    I think I thave a stack of samples on my desk if you get stuck.

Yes, it can be painted, but then what is advantage over hardboard? For something like $250-300 per 4 X 8. For my typical high school stage in the 3500-4500 sf range, thats like $40,000. Lot of good LED fixtures.