Control/Dimming Portable Dimmer Packs

Froggy

We are looking to expand our system, and to do that we need more dimmers, in more locations. I was wondering what types/brands of dimmer packs that can be mounted to battens and have 2P&G plugs are good for a large, but outdated high school system. I was looking at several brands, including ETC and NSI. Our school's goal is to install more pipes, add more fixtures, and DMX-daisy chain the dimmer packs together. Please recommend a few good, relatively inexpensive models.

We are looking to expand our system, and to do that we need more dimmers, in more locations. I was wondering what types/brands of dimmer packs that can be mounted to battens and have 2P&G plugs are good for a large, but outdated high school system. I was looking at several brands, including ETC and NSI. Our school's goal is to install more pipes, add more fixtures, and DMX-daisy chain the dimmer packs together. Please recommend a few good, relatively inexpensive models.

Leprecon ULD and ULD Wireless DMX (yes that's a new product), ETC SmartModule, Lex Products/Anaconda, Applied Electronics TM4 series, Stand S21, Dove Systems, etc... are all from reputable manufacturers.

I have experience with one theater company (Chamber Theater of Boston) that visits our space frequently (like tomorrow) and uses the Leprecon's and AFAIK has had zero failures with lot's of set-ups and take downs and I've yet to hear of a failure.

That said, some thoughts as to usage:

1) What's the typical unit wattage and usage ?, 575w ?, 750W, 1000w, cyc lights ?. In other words, how do you intend to load them up ?. That drives the pack choice, as a 575w "fits" on a 600w dimmer, but not if you are going to turn it on at full and leave it on for more then 3 hrs. Then you get into loading issues. If you use 1kw PAR64's then a 1200w dimmer might just be marginal.

2) What's your power source ?. Can you have 3 phase/208 installed as twistlok receptacles in convenient locations ?, or are you limited to 15a edison outlets ?. That too drives the type and numbers of packs and dimmers.

Not sure why, but a design for our new PAC originally had a lot of these portable dimmer packs in 2 of the 3 spaces. The consultants have now changed it to standard 2.4kw Sensor style racks and I suspect one of the reasons was the overall costs beyond the initial pack expenses, such as DMX cabling and outlets, Nodes for the DMX, 208/3phase receptacles in numbers and locations that made the system flexible, power cables for the packs, extra 2P&G cables, etc... Lot's of gear that isn't needed with a circuits in a raceway style, centralized dimming system. It appears that distributed dimming got pricey.

Steve Bailey
Brooklyn College

Here is the real issue, you can't just go in and add dimmers all over the place. Portable, shoebox type dimmers are not really the ideal solution for expanding a system. You have to consider the power requirements for anything you want to add. Chances are you don't have enough circuits to connect any significant number of portable packs to. Most theatres, especially in schools, don't have a lot of standard, non-dimmed, circuits in convenient places for adding dimmers.

How many dimmers do you think you want to add? Where are you adding these new positions? If they are not close to enough existing power to drive all the fixtures you intend to use then you are pretty hosed.

Odds are, if you want to add any significant number of dimmers you will need more power. This is probably where you are going to run up the most expenses as you will need to bring in a licensed electrician to pull the requisite power. If you are lucky, it will exist in the building already, if not it will cost you even more. The ideal solution would be to add more permanent dimmers and have raceways installed. After that you might consider some of the products like the ETC SmartBar, though again, if you need many dimmers you will need more power.

Shoebox type portable dimmers are great when you need to add dimmable circuits in odd places for limited engagements. However, it sounds like what you want is a more permanent solution, and it is a lot better to do it right than to only go part way.

Lightronics, makes both 4 and 6 channel portable dimmers with stagepin connectors on the outputs. They come in both DMX, Microplex and wireless. That could be your answer if you find that portables are the way to go, but as several have testified, their may be better options.
Never make a decision in the purchase of theatre lighting grear until you have addressed all of the pros and cons and have searched for the best product for the money and have received good advice from several professionals.

Thank you all, I am only a sophomore in high school so I really appreciate input from you more experienced individuals.

I've used Lightronics, Leviton, and Leprecon portable dimmers. I've never had an issue with any of them. All brands offer (as far as I remember) 2PnG outputs on some models. Maybe not all, but some.

I guess it comes down to which dimmer curve you like the best and/or where you can get the best deal. I would try to match as close as possible to the curve in your existing equipment.

However, it may be worth it to look at a rack dimmer, such as an ETC smartpack, etc. But they're not the only one. Just depends on what you need and where you need it.

The new smartmodule looks to be like a pretty good solution, however the power distribution would kill you price wise.

Coming from a person that is working in a theatre that the lighting system is completly made up of portable packs (4 CD80 type packs and 1 Sensor 24 pack), if you can avoid doing this type of system... do. Your points of failure sky rocket from a traditional system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back