Power Inlet on Case

Edrick

Premium Member
Gator Cases GRC-Base-10 Base with Casters GRC-BASE-10 B&H Photo
proxy.php

Anyone have recommendations for a way to put a power inlet in on a case like this? I have the inlets already, however the question is what to do on the inside of the base. I was thinking of riveting a 4" Square deep with an extension ring facing the exterior of the case which would enclose the inlet on the inside of the case and then connecting some SOOW to the 4" square box which would connect to the power distribution inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I would just heatshrink the wires and make sure the back of the rack is enclosed.

I thought about doing the 2RU plate that might be better than drilling a hole in the case. As far as enclosing the back of the roadcase I'm not sure how well that'd work since that's where all the gear connections will come out of. I feel like there's gotta be an approved method of adding an inlet to a road case hmm

I thought about doing the 2RU plate that might be better than drilling a hole in the case. As far as enclosing the back of the roadcase I'm not sure how well that'd work since that's where all the gear connections will come out of. I feel like there's gotta be an approved method of adding an inlet to a road case hmm

I've used connectors like those in the earlier posts link for many years. I've seen numerous cases built like this over the years as well. The difference being the cases I mention are of plywood construction. I'm interested in the new SKB style plastic cases as they claim better weather resistance. I would like some 4U or bigger ones for my Nodes(Gateway, switch, opti's & U.P.S). I would think the connector would be able to be securely fastened to the plastic side wall well. If not, one might be able to strengthen it up by riveting a plate on the inside.
**WARNING: I was instructed to keep my U.P.S.'s plugged in when in the shop for extended periods(hiatus months). While it is very advantageous to have the ability to plug in a case without having to pop off the sides or lids, it is mandatory that there is ventilation in the case with the batteries when they are plugged in and charging. Since I don't have vents built in, I DO POP OPEN the case for safety.

Last edited:
I would go the custom rack panels with PowerCon if it were me, and I didn't already have the inlets as you say you do. Then you could also add other things as Gern suggested.

Here's one of the racks I built for a band's IEM system:
proxy.php

Wiring

I also have two circuit amp racks that are just two inlets wired to quad boxes. As Phil said, just heatshrink the back and make sure no wiring is exposed.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty much the way I would go with the exception of having the connectors plugged in at the top, IMO especially for the feeder line you are adding a lot of avoidable strain to the connectors and 2U plate.

Now that PowerCon connectors have made their way into the market it may be a worthwhile expenditure. They represent low profile very robust connectors.

I don't like putting a power inlet in the side of a rack:
1. Makes it impossible to place racks next to one another.
2. Inlets of the 5-15 variety never seem mechanically trustworthy to me. They're fine for a workbox containing a coffee pot, battery chargers, and laptop, but I prefer a locking connector.
Gator Cases GRC-Base-10 Base with Casters GRC-BASE-10 B&H Photo
Anyone have recommendations for a way to put a power inlet in on a case like this? ...
The rack pictured has a Furman at the top, which is the proper way to go. One might also look at Motion Labs Rac Pac line. Many other rack-mount RPT devices are available at all quality levels and price points.

If you're not going to fully enclose the back of the rack, bringing all the audio connections out to a patch panel, no problem with an AC cord dangling out the back. If you are going to enclose the back, no problem with wiring the cord to the back of an inlet mounted in a blank panel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back