Design Powering Set Electrics - Retractable Cable Reel?

Hi all,

Currently trying to run power from a grid to two tracking walls that cross a stage.
The idea is to use a retractable cable reel for each wall, so that the cable can extend and retract to whatever length it needs to be at.
Curious to know if anyone has done this before? I need to figure out how to get the cable reel to extend and retract WITHOUT LOCKING, so it constantly wants to retract, in other words...

Any ideas? Other solutions to this problem (tracking power across a stage) are greatly appreciated too!
Thanks! :)

Have used reels but not a fan. I think follower application, where the reel would be on your wall, might be better.

I need to figure out how to get the cable reel to extend and retract WITHOUT LOCKING, so it constantly wants to retract, in other words. ...
When I last did this in 1987, IIRC, it was an easy task to simply remove the ratcheting dog inside the the Cord-O-Matic, leaving only spring tension. Today, I suspect the harder issue will be finding one that uses black, rather than yellow or orange, cord.

Have used reels but not a fan. I think follower application, where the reel would be on your wall, might be better.

Thank you for the idea, that sounds like it would be the preferable way to do it, but the two walls run on a track attached to 1' box truss, so I just worry about there being enough space between the two units...

When I last did this in 1987, IIRC, it was an easy task to simply remove the ratcheting dog inside the the Cord-O-Matic, leaving only spring tension. Today, I suspect the harder issue will be finding one that uses black, rather than yellow or orange, cord.

Looking at schematics, that seemed like it would work, just taking the ratcheting dog out...would it still be able to retract as well as extend out?

And I think I found a few that have black cords! But it's a worry of mine, for sure.

McMaster also has models (Heavy Duty Spring-Rewind Reels) that has no ratchet at all.
The only spec for the cables themselves that I see on the site is that the cords are "heavy duty cord that resists oil and water" which only means SJOW or better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back