preference between lamps hx754 and hx755 in altman 360q

NHStech

If you use altman 360q's, have you found either to be better suited for your needs? I see the 754 has a little higher temp, but the 755 lasts a lot longer but is not rated as high in lumens, and they are about the same price. I presently use HP575s in mine, but want something a bit brighter for a general downstage wash. Thoughts?

If you use altman 360q's, have you found either to be better suited for your needs? I see the 754 has a little higher temp, but the 755 lasts a lot longer but is not rated as high in lumens, and they are about the same price. I presently use HP575s in mine, but want something a bit brighter for a general downstage wash. Thoughts?

The GE type Lamp codes for these lamps have become ANSI codes for the lamps - GLD for the HX-754 and GLE for the HX-755. This means that it's no longer a single maker prototype lamp that doesn't qualify for ANSI code like the HPR lamp, any brand can make it now to the same specifications (within a range.)

For a school, you want the longer life GLE - want that "goes to 11" ability where needed held in reserve, and the money savings where possible. Than for punch for like a gobo to punch more not the GLD, the Philips #6981P lamp as designed for the High End Systems - Color Command fixture... a bit more punch than the GLD.

Back in the 80's when I went to school, thru the 90's we made magic and the stage wasn't dim even with 500w lamps in even less efficient gear. Not sure of the need given the same stages for brighter - more wattage lamps on the same stages where magic was made in the past. Could do and certainly the industry has gone for more wattage, but still, light was bright enough in the last century of light at least. Need to question GLE verses GLD when GLA verses GLC might be bright enough and was an improvement over what I went to school with?

Conservation of energy concept perhaps in some way in asking that question of the need to be 750w when 575w might work assuming not competing with other gear too powerful than perhaps needed. Eyes will adjust to light levels - overall intensity type thing. Need to be 750w? Brigher also don't persay mean more magic on stage - often just compensation for it. Concepts to consider.

By the way, HP verses HX is the same thing for the most part in non - pre ANSI lamp. Both are normally the same thing in at times different filament structures, but often just different band. Still down to if you have a GLC / GLA verses FLK/FLK -LL version in use as per today's what you would buy. The GEC/GLA would have a more efficient filament than the FLK thus more light. Would like to know what brand made your "HP575's" in directly knowing what you want more punch out of. But still, as you cited, the longer life lamps are dimmer in color temperature. On the other hand on a stage with similar or lower in doing so... bright as concept at least given more efficient filament.

Stuff to work on in the goal of staying 575w for the inventory, than having that 750w at times needed like you cite for more intensity and or for gobo use. Lower the better you can keep with, the more head room you have for use where you need more punch.

Mention this past week that I made not just gobo holders for 2Kw Mole Ellipsodals, but also had to punch the gobos for them? That's when one needs a big prop light and also wants 2Kw worth of punch in it as a Leko. Too bad they didn't tell me before last minute that they couldn't find any in-stock gobos that they wanted. 4" gate for the fixture, I downsized it for like a 3" "A" size pattern holder in still having to make the gobos for it. Had they done their R&D, I could have easily made the 4" pattern holder and gobo for it. None the less, this show decided that in competing with moving lights, that only a 2Kw and also prop in size Leko could do something - granted I will have strangled a few people if they decided on the rotatator version as Monday morning after I spent all weekend inventing even single gobo holder with dichroic heat filter thing for it. Yea could do, but not happy in a what you didn't know type of thing. Could have done the gobo rotatator thing but will not have been a happy camper in starting over. Instead I just had to make the gobos for the show out of like 20 gauge steel. Good thing I have a hole punching arbor punch.

Off track in reply- but at some point in me pointing out a 4" gate to the Mole Ellipsodal, they wanted shop gobos for it in not buying anything. Nothing in the shop was sufficient so I was to make one, this following the concept of making it rotate in asking for. The heck do you want in sure can do but Man-hours even if salary is adding up in time left to get done before the show leaves.

So that's what I'm like these days. Designer wants what? Sure I make for them. On the other hand that's also where the designer in not sure about what they want will agree to a 3" gate to a 4" gate fixture in even later making gobos to the fixture that otherwise didn't work out before too late. Rock and Roll it...

Lost much of the efficiency of the light, but I did invent A' size gobo holders with dichroic heat sinks to them for mounting normal A' size gobos within a 2Kw fixture. More power.... Just had the designer pre-thought what he wanted... just will have been a 4" gate and better fixture.

Pre-thought in if wanting more output from the downstage wash - whole concept of what you have and what it's lamped with. Than say if the rest is long life, perhaps these are high output in citing the color temperature and higher output. Perhaps sufficient but same wattage.

Than if needed, the higher wattage options. Hope further refined in more wattage isn't always best. SEE past FEL posts also. Where possible, go high lamp life for the bulk, than have options above that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back