Printed Backdrops

Erwin

I have come across some information about large scale printed backdrops. If I understand what I read, it seemed like large canvas backdrops were put through a very large ink printer and presto, a printed backdrop.

Does anyone here have any experience or feedback on such products. The size, photos and price of the ones I was looking at seemed just a little too good to be true.

The size of any drop I might be interested in would be about 20'h x 30'w

Regards;

Do you have a link?

Billboard prints are sometimes that big, but they are usually done on vinyl.

We've been using printed backdrops for nearly a decade. Overall they've been a good choice. By using printed backdrops, we free our set painters up for other painting projects and the cost for a printed drop verses the labor costs for a painted drop are usually comparable. regardless of the company you choose for your printed backdrop you will need to have a high resolution digital image to send them. The better the quality of this digital image, the better the quality of the finished product will be.

I was searching for backdrops for use in a smaller scale... like behind a garden french door. (Note to self - don't put a french door in the middle of the rear flat - HORRIBLE shadow appears on the backdrop) The cheapest source I figured out was in the photography section on eBay. There are hundreds of backdrops (most at 10'w x 20'h) available. Up close you can tell it's digital, but from the audience end it looked great. I found a few companies through that search who make custom backdrops, but substantially more expensive than their stock items.

I rented some drops from Either Charles Stewart or Grosh a couple years back. One came and it was the standard hand painted drop. The other was a brand new one straight out of the printer. It was much lighter weight and looked way better than the painted drop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back