Proprietary plugs?

Ori

Working with old industrial LEDs bars. Does anyone recognize these plugs? Based on the gauge, far left is power (XLR does not fit). And far right appears to be Data In. Where could I purchase these cables? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ori

Attachments

• IMG_1825.jpeg
    IMG_1825.jpeg
    668 KB · Views: 427
Working with old industrial LEDs bars. Does anyone recognize these plugs? Based on the gauge, far left is power (XLR does not fit). And far right appears to be Data In. Where could I purchase these cables? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ori
@Ori To my rapidly declining vision, these MAY be from Cannon's MS (Military Specification) series. As an insulin dependent stroke survivor, my vision is seriously compromised. IF I'm seeing a coupling nut with three notches around its internal periphery designed to mate with three posts protruding from the external periphery of its mate then I'd suggest my guess is correct. Similar Military Spec' connectors were marketed by Amphenol, Bendix and others but I strongly suspect they're in the category of antiques and 'unobtaineum' from the second world war era and highly likely LONG out of production. Google MAY be your friend but I very much doubt it. I'll flag @Ancient Engineer and @FMEng who MAY be able to help you. Good luck with your query.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

If you get a good light and a magnifying glass, you'll probably see part numbers etched, molded or embossed on each part of each connector - the shell, the pin block, protective cap, etc. Google will be your friend. @RonHebbard is right that these could have been made by any of several companies.

Those are definitely Cannon plugs, and they won't be any standard wiring pattern, no.

Mouser, Digi Key, and that sort of vendor; as Ron says, you might find a part number on there somewhere.
@Ori and @Jay Ashworth The plugs will definitely bear differing part numbers on each individual piece of the assembly; different numbers for housings, inserts coupling nuts cable grips, males, females, etcetera. Cannon was one of the initial manufacturers but were quickly joined by Amphenol and several other manufacturers during the second world war to manufacture similar identical and compatible connectors to support North America's war efforts. Thanks @TimMc for coming to @Ori 's aid.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Ah sorry to hear about your condition Ron. and thank you all for the quick response. It's incredible to find an actual helpful forum these days.

The Cannon and Amphenol connectors do appear to be a strong match. Any direct links on where to find relevant cables? The part numbers in the housing are UJC 18-12p and UJC 18-21p, however, Google bore no results. Help!

Thanks,
Ori

Ah sorry to hear about your condition Ron. and thank you all for the quick response. It's incredible to find an actual helpful forum these days.

The Cannon and Amphenol connectors do appear to be a strong match. Any direct links on where to find relevant cables? The part numbers in the housing are UJC 18-12p and UJC 18-21p, however, Google bore no results. Help!

Thanks,
Ori

@Ori @Jay Ashworth
and @TimMc I suggest finding pre-manufactured cables in this day and age will be essentially impossible. Sourcing raw connectors and parts will be comparatively easy; finding assembled cables with correctly paired or shielded wiring I'd bet will be impossible unless you've a budget akin to Donald's walls. Parts are DEFINITELY compatible between brands. Service personnel in tanks and submarines had only find parts with identical numbers; by design there was NEVER a need to be brand specific.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Definitely AN (Army-Navy spec) connectors. The bulk were made by Cannon & Amphenol and probably other contractors during the war*. Lots of 'em on war surplus hardware. Built like a tank--and just about as expensive. Get yourself Cannor & Ampenol catalogs. Each connector is made up of several parts.
(* That's W.W.II, youngsters.)

Yea! The metal is HEAVY. It's an honor just to hold in my hands.

Thank you all for the help. Will update if anything interesting happens.

Ori

Yea! The metal is HEAVY. It's an honor just to hold in my hands.

Thank you all for the help. Will update if anything interesting happens.

Ori
@Ori Please recline on a soft surface PRIOR to reading any supplier's price list. IF you come across injection molded plastic alternatives AVOID them. I once had an employer who went the injection molded plastic route, not for assemblies to mate with their plastic cohorts but for an application where our plastic connectors needed to mate with genuine mil' spec' connectors. Trust me; DON'T GO THERE.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Take some pictures of the fixture.

If possible the wiring harness or main board everything is attached to. You could always rewire it to a standard plug data and power.

Take some pictures of the fixture.
If possible, the wiring harness or main board everything it's attached to. You could always rewire it to a standard plug for data and power.
@Ori and @Amiers Agreed and most assuredly at FAR less cost. ( Likely AMP [not to be confused with Amphenol] have connectors in their CPC injection molded plastic series which would likely mount with the same footprint / mounting centres)
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Nothing is complex about that lol.

Get some close ups of the sockets that feed your data and power.
And
Get it off your bathroom rug though before you dump static in them and make it useless.

Aside from wishful thinking, is there anything that indicates these are actually DMX controlled? If they were not intended for use in a theatre, there's a very good chance they're something else. DMX use in regular commercial lighting (ignoring entertainment venues and theme parks, etc) is a relatively recent thing...

If you haven't already, I would take the time to mock up something temporary to test these fixtures before spending any money on special connectors.

Ummm ... do I see you have serial #0001 in hand there?

For connectors ... perhaps consider stripping a tank, fighter plane, or submarine at your local museum ... swords to plow shares!

Thanks,
Ori
Hi Ori,
I don't know if you've found the answer to your question yet, but those are indeed Mil spec connectors. They got specified by quite a few European lighting manufacturers in the 70's and 80's, as they offered a secure locking multipin connector for power feeds to, typically, a 3 or 4 cell cyc light., for example. As has already been stated, you're extremely unlikely to find ready made cables but those connectors are still available from Amphenol. If you do a search for MIL-C-5015, that should point you in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back