Pulsing dimmers

Nathan RAC

we have really old, analog dimmers and they recently started pulsing from about 1%-10%. Even with no DMX input. I believe it could be the DMX to analog converter (elation multi-data/pak) as the dimmers stay at 0 when this unit is turned off. Can anyone help with this?

When you say no DMX input, you mean your console is off, or you unplugged the DMX cable?

If you unplug the converter from the dimmers, does the issue remain?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

DMX cable is unplugged and I have not unplugged the dimmers from the convertor.

this system has been working for the past few years and only started doing this in the past week

The elation also offers different voltage settings for the output. Make sure that setting hasn't been changed. I would assume this should be set to 10V, burn may be different depending on your dimmers.

Is it possible the converter was accidentally put into chase mode?

When it comes to troubleshooting, you never know. If there is enough dust to be worried, then you should probably go through and clean the dimmers, and the converter. It's possible something overheated and got fried. In truth, this issue could be many things. Bad cable, ground loop, bad converter, or cable polarity.

If you unplug the converter from the dimmers, and the dimmers still act up, then the culprit is the dimmers. If the system only acts up when the converter is connected, then it is the converter. You could also take a voltmeter and check the analog outputs to see if they go from 10 V down to 0 V or have AC noise on them.

If you isolate it to the converter, it is possible one or more of the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply have gone bad and the ripple is providing the control signal/dimmer pulsing. Take a meter and see if the pulsing is visible on one of the converter output channels.
Carefully examine the capacitors for a domed (pushed up) top instead of the normal flat top. If so, they should be replaced.

with the convertor unplugged from the dimmers, the dimmers stay at 0, so its the convertor box itself. I will check the capacitors, and check the the analog outputs with a volt meter to see exactly whats going on and report back later with my findings. Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions.

Alright, opened it back up again and found that 2 out of 4 of the capacitors are blown. They've domed up and have a smell to them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 188

Users who are viewing this thread

Back