Pyro CAREER Advice

IAmLumenator

Premium Member
Hello CB! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I would like to know where to start with pyrotechnics as a career. Currently, I run lighting and projection a couple times a year for a few music festivals (I'm quite good at busking, if I do say so myself :)), and I run sound for smaller bar-type shows.

I have minimal unrelated college education, and no formal education in any Theater-related fields. Most of my experience comes from doing that first show, loving it, and improving my work as much as I can to be bigger and better.

I had a recent personal loss that prompted me to try doing something new with my life, and I've always wanted to work with Pyrotechnics.

If I was going to start fresh and try to start a career with Pyrotechnics, where do I start? I'm willing to go to school, I just don't know what major/minor/specialty would help me out the most.

Since it varies so much from state to state, I live in New York (if that matters.)

Well, like with many things in this line of work the first thing is to know a guy that already does pyro and will take you under their wing. If you don't know anyone (I'm going to assume you don't since you're asking us) then you need to ask around to find one, and it might take a lot of asking. I'm just going by the PGI spreadsheet because I don't know he specific New York rules but experience is required to obtain the state licence and they add the note that:

OSFM Administrative rule states Display Operator License Applicant MUST complete a "Training Course on Pyrotechnic Displays given by a recognized Fireworks Company" - Must show 2 Forms of ID and Proof of US Citizenship - Must submit to Fingerprint and Background Check - Must have letter of Reference from Fireworks Company stating Physical Description, Experience and Qualifications.

Past that it like like $25 for the test and $50 for fingerprinting are required to become a licensed operator in New York.
So your first step is probably to find someone that will take you on to teach you the trade (you might have to be willing to work without pay to begin with) and somewhere in there take the course and the appropriate test. I can only speak from my experience with other states, but often tie getting the required experience is the hard part and the test is little more than a formality.

I agree with porkchop get in touch with someone who is a professional already... that's really the way most learn so find someone the more experience the better often times the people who have been on the business a long time have a great more knowledge of more aspects of the trade including safety which is a top stuff in pyro. And finally be prepared to take on a significant legal responsibility... often times similar to riggers your work can hurt or even kill people if it is done wrong, I don't mean to scare you but there is a reason good pyros and riggers take their jobs so seriously because they know their responsibilities.

The very few pyro people I have worked with have all crossed over from some other discipline. They were either audio, lighting, staging, backline, whatever types. They all had a huge amount of road expereince the knew the business well. Then, they were able to stumble into the right place/right time to get in with a company. It is a rather small world... jobs rarely if ever get posted.

I would suggest taking a look at either the Feld tours or cruise ships. Both use pyro. Both offer training. Not a bad way to get it. However, your not going to be setting pyro on the next Roger Waters tour anytime soon.

........If I was going to start fresh and try to start a career with Pyrotechnics, where do I start?...........

I'll send you a contact via PM. He is a pro shooter and will have lots of good advice. Please don't share his name and contact info without his permission.

I'll send you a contact via PM. He is a pro shooter and will have lots of good advice. Please don't share his name and contact info without his permission.

Just wondering if you contacted him and if it was helpful???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back